Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: What tires should I buy?

  1. #11
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,368
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I haven't found 559s to be at all a common size outside of wheelchair world. Are you finding a selection of 559s available at bike stores?
    Of the standard wheelchair wheel sizes
    E.T.R.T.O. bead diameter mm)
    22" - 501
    24" - 540
    25" - 559
    26" - 590
    27" - 622 (700c)

    the 559 has by far the largest selection of bike tires of all the wheelchair rim sizes... just check out all the 26" mountain bike tyres, they are all 559

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
    If your tire size is expressed as "26 x 1.25" or "26 x 1.50" or "26 x 1.75" or "26 x 1.95" or "26 x 2.1" or "26 x 2.125" or "26 x " any other decimal number, 559 mm is the size you need.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I haven't found 559s to be at all a common size outside of wheelchair world. Are you finding a selection of 559s available at bike stores?
    I wouldn't say "selection", but in my situation I didn't have a functional wheel and they had a 559 tire that would have worked for a 25" wheel because I asked specifically after they told me that had absolutely nothing in 590.

    While I wouldn't expect a bike shop to have the specific tire I wanted, they ought to have a cheap knobby tire that's a little too wide but can be made to work for a few days while I order the tire I actually want from the internet.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Of the standard wheelchair wheel sizes
    E.T.R.T.O. bead diameter mm)
    22" - 501
    24" - 540
    25" - 559
    26" - 590
    27" - 622 (700c)

    the 559 has by far the largest selection of bike tires of all the wheelchair rim sizes... just check out all the 26" mountain bike tyres, they are all 559
    Good to know except that it was never the case at the NYC bike shops when I lived there. Then again, I never asked for (or wanted) mountain bike tires.

  4. #14
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,368
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Good to know except that it was never the case at the NYC bike shops when I lived there. Then again, I never asked for (or wanted) mountain bike tires.
    Even the really good bicycle brick and mortar stores have a pretty limited selection.
    you have to go online.
    What ever type of tyre you're looking for if you can't find it in a 559 you stand no chance finding it in the other wheelchair wheel sizes.
    I started out running 590's and would buy tyres directly from Germany as they're not sold in the US.
    That's when I made sure my next chair was 559, so I can run some big fatties. can go all the way up to a 120-559 with schwalbes the 590 only goes up to 42-590 and very limited selection.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Good to know except that it was never the case at the NYC bike shops when I lived there. Then again, I never asked for (or wanted) mountain bike tires.
    Yeah, I'm not looking for anything ideal. I'm just looking for the best odds of finding something (anything) that will work for a few days no matter how ugly or poor fitting in an emergency.

    Even in NYC, I'd be shocked if you couldn't call around and find some kind of 559 tire that would fit your rim and have it installed in a matter of a couple hours.

    Being faced with the very real possibility of spending a few days a work rolling around for several miles a day on a flat tire because there were literally no 590 tires at all in a city of 1,000,000 or so people was kind of eye opening. I think I called a dozen bike shops trying to find one.

    Although I'd bet 700c tires are even more easily found, I don't think I want to go that big, I knock over enough trashcans with my long ass 590s sticking out the back of my chair.


    Wikipedia tells me "Most mountain bikes use ISO 559 mm wheels, commonly called 26" wheels" So I'm sure some of those tires could be persuaded onto a 559 x 1 inch rim. I'm sure it would be a crap fit, but they could work for a short time.

  6. #16
    Senior Member robotnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North Brittany, France
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    So I'm sure some of those tires could be persuaded onto a 559 x 1 inch rim. I'm sure it would be a crap fit, but they could work for a short time.
    You're right, and Wikipedia too.
    All the 26" MTB/Cycling tires can fit on a 559mm wheelchair rim (our 25").
    That's why choosing 559mm will give you the best of both worlds, 26" MTB and 25" wheelchair. And usually you can find shitty low cost 26" MTB tires in every supermarket.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    But is there something more light weight that I could get away with?
    The Schwalbe ONE is a lightweight high pressure tyre and with a degree of puncture protection. It's trumpeted by Schwalbe as being the best wheelchair tyre they've produced. The downside from you point of view is that it's a slick tyre.
    eqpt - rigid chair, 2 scooters, crutches/sticks/frames, assistance cat.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Night_Owl View Post
    The Schwalbe ONE is a lightweight high pressure tyre and with a degree of puncture protection. It's trumpeted by Schwalbe as being the best wheelchair tyre they've produced. The downside from you point of view is that it's a slick tyre.
    I saw that one on their website. It seems pretty new. Do you have any experience with it yet?

    I'm down to give it a shot. Worst case scenario I buy another set of marathons.

  9. #19
    Senior Member robotnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North Brittany, France
    Posts
    196
    French collection, give'em a chance ! Michelin Protek 26"x1,40" or Hutchinson TopSlick 26"x1,20"
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

  10. #20
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,368
    putting the larger width tires on narrower width rims is easy.. no persuading is necessary. Just must have the same bead diameter. 559 etc..
    Going in the other direction is a little more hit and miss, trying to get narrower tires to fit a wider rim, still mostly works.

    I'm currently using:
    25"*1" rims (559) with a tire - 60-559 (26*2.35) 30-55psi Big Apple Schwalbe: which give an actual measured outside diameter @55psi of 26 7/8".

    on another rim 26" 590 using
    26"*1" rims (590) with a tire - 42-590 HS 349 Schwalbe :which give an actual measured outside diameter at max psi of 26 1/2".

    and then I'm also running some 27" wheels (700cx28c 28-622) 700c - using standard non-marking tire.
    27"*1" rims (622) with a tire - 28-622 Cheng Shin : which gives and actual measureed outside diameter at 100psi of 26 7/8"

    This allows me to swap my 25" and 27" wheels without having to make any adjustments... brakes center of gravity etc.. so I can have non marking tires in the house and fatties for outside etc.

    the two wheels with tires (25"(559) next to a 27"(622)) on the same axle ..



    you would be surprised.. if you're running 26" wheels you'll barely notice the difference running 27" wheels, i hear you with the rear overhang, but honestly I have had no more issue with the 27" rims... seriously thinking of getting my next chair built from the ground up with 27" wheels thereby allowing me to the same swap with 25" wheels.

    I don't have any standard 1" 26"(590) non marking tires kicking around to get an actual measurement, but I am guessing the outside diameter would be right around 25 7/8" so you're really looking at adding an inch to the overall diameter of your wheel/tires if you tried running 27" wheels.



    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Yeah, I'm not looking for anything ideal. I'm just looking for the best odds of finding something (anything) that will work for a few days no matter how ugly or poor fitting in an emergency.

    Even in NYC, I'd be shocked if you couldn't call around and find some kind of 559 tire that would fit your rim and have it installed in a matter of a couple hours.

    Being faced with the very real possibility of spending a few days a work rolling around for several miles a day on a flat tire because there were literally no 590 tires at all in a city of 1,000,000 or so people was kind of eye opening. I think I called a dozen bike shops trying to find one.

    Although I'd bet 700c tires are even more easily found, I don't think I want to go that big, I knock over enough trashcans with my long ass 590s sticking out the back of my chair.


    Wikipedia tells me "Most mountain bikes use ISO 559 mm wheels, commonly called 26" wheels" So I'm sure some of those tires could be persuaded onto a 559 x 1 inch rim. I'm sure it would be a crap fit, but they could work for a short time.
    Last edited by NW-Will; 06-01-2017 at 12:44 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. tires
    By voxina in forum Equipment
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 04:38 PM
  2. New tires. Lol.
    By sam10685 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 12:51 AM
  3. Tires
    By PeanutsLucy in forum Equipment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 11:50 AM
  4. Are your tires too old?
    By WheelieMike in forum Life
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2008, 11:47 PM
  5. Tires...Tires...!
    By chick in forum Equipment
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 03:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •