Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What tires should I buy?

What tires should I buy?

I'm getting a new chair ordered and I've got a couple weeks to put in all the details.

For eight of the past ten years I've been pushing Schwalbe Marathons, and besides being a royal pain in the ass to get on the rim (and forcing me to take them to a bike shop to have them changed so that the bike mechanic can do all the cursing and wrench breaking) they've been quite good to me.

But is there something more light weight that I could get away with?
    I'd rather have a bit of tread on there because inevitably I'll have to go over a little wet grass now and then, but for the most part over the next three years my wheels are going to be living a very civilized life spending most of their time on sidewalks and indoors. I don't anticipate rolling through a lot of broken glass, like I can (but very rarely DO) in my marathons. I mostly want something light weight to minimize the strain when I'm chucking them wheels in and out of the car four times a day.

So... any suggestions? What's new in the tire world in the past 8 years? Should I just stick with the marathons?

What chair you order? I need to soon.

The thing about treads, they hold dirt, that's why I've been sticking with Marathons.

Yeah I definitely don't want to go more tready than marathons, just not sure if I should do a completely smooth type of bicycle tire.

I'm going from my ZRA to a TR

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I mostly want something light weight to minimize the strain when I'm chucking them wheels in and out of the car four times a day.
    What kind of wheels are you planning to order? A set of TiLite's new Carbon blade wheels or Topolinos (no longer available directly from TiLite) will save you weight (but cost you extra $). I have a set of each (haven't weighed them so don't which set is lighter) with Marathons. Works for me.

Wich diameter are you going to choose ?
    With 559mm rims, the choice is much bigger than with 540mm.
    You can still have wheelchair's tires, but also lots of MTB/cycles models.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Blog Entries
    My go-to mostly indoor tire is the Schwalbe Rightrun.

Still 145psi, slight puncture resistance, with a touch of tread on the edges, and a smooth stripe down the center. Perfect for smooth hard surfaces IMO.

1/5th the cost of Marathons but WAY more than 1/5th the performance, especially inside, or on tarmac/sidewalks.

https://bike-on.com/schwalbe-rightrun-wheelchair-tire
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    What kind of wheels are you planning to order? A set of TiLite's new Carbon blade wheels or Topolinos (no longer available directly from TiLite) will save you weight (but cost you extra $). I have a set of each (haven't weighed them so don't which set is lighter) with Marathons. Works for me.
    I will be getting Spinergy XLX, I think they're about 60 grams heavier than the carbon blades, but I really like the x-laced pattern... really only 3 spokes you have to reach through at the hub on the outside. Ought to be super easy to grip.

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    Wich diameter are you going to choose ?
    With 559mm rims, the choice is much bigger than with 540mm.
    You can still have wheelchair's tires, but also lots of MTB/cycles models.
    I'm going to 559 from 590 because of tire selection. I had a marathon go bad on me when I was out of town and had to pay $100 just for the two day shipping for a new set of tires from Sportaid. Since that day I decided I had to go with something a little more common.

I went from a ZRA to a TR, with 559 XLX wheels as well about a year and a half ago. Went four years on marathons before switching to rightruns on this new chair. They are noticeably lighter and easier to push.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I'm going to 559 from 590 because of tire selection. I had a marathon go bad on me when I was out of town and had to pay $100 just for the two day shipping for a new set of tires from Sportaid. Since that day I decided I had to go with something a little more common.
    I haven't found 559s to be at all a common size outside of wheelchair world. Are you finding a selection of 559s available at bike stores?