Thread: Accessible escalator

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Accessible escalator

Don't know if this should go into the Life forum or elsewhere, but I thought it was pretty darn cool.

Can't think of a good reason why anyone would build an escalator without this function from now on.

Looks like a great way to make many subway systems more accessible, since the elevators (if available) are so frequently out of service or never installed.

(KLD)

It would be interesting to know if existing elevators could be retro-fit with this functionality. I could see replacing existing escalators as being very cost prohibitive. There's a whole new world getting ready to break out, out there. With all the infrastructure replacement needs that are emerging, the next several decades should be the Golden Age for working accommodations into everything!

We almost need a Vancouver kind of mindset (long grades worked into designs as opposed to sharp cliff like edges and obstacles - you can still get the impact of those sharp edges by fooling the eye) to go into designs around the world. It's not perfect there but the underlying thoughtfulness towards accommodation is noticeable and appreciated.
    Last edited by Patton57; 05-29-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    It would be interesting to know if existing elevators could be retro-fit with this functionality. I could see replacing existing escalators as being very cost prohibitive. There's a whole new world getting ready to break out, out there. With all the infrastructure replacement needs that are emerging, the next several decades should be the Golden Age for working accommodations into everything!

We almost need a Vancouver kind of mindset (long grades worked into designs as opposed to sharp cliff like edges and obstacles - you can still get the impact of those sharp edges by fooling the eye) to go into designs around the world. It's not perfect there but the underlying thoughtfulness towards accommodation is noticeable and appreciated.
    So completely off topic, but I don't feel bad about hijacking my own thread, I think the younger developed world (Canada, US, maybe Australia) pretty much has an accessible mindset when it comes to new construction and infrastructure.

The biggest opportunity for bringing accessibility to the world right now is in rapidly developing countries like China and Brazil. If these countries which will (or in the case of China already have) build entirely new infrastructure over the next few decades it would be the most cost effective to build in accessibility to new projects rather than retrofit accessibility piecemeal into public transit, buildings, etc, etc after an economy has developed to the point that people begin to focus on human rights type of issues (like accessibility).