Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raised Toilet Seat

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The ActiveAid is very stable, and you are more likely to fall from a raised toilet seat attached to the toilet bowl than from this one which sits firmly on the floor over the toilet.

(KLD)

That was also how we felt.

My Dad is a big guy - almost 6' 2". And a walking para. He plops down on that toilet seat, and it handles it well. We looked at those elevated toilet seats that attach to the toilets and thought.... no way.

It may also depend upon the design of your bathroom, what you use to hold on to while you transfer, how high your toilet is and how tall the seat is etc...

Ok folks, you may notice that it is being sold again. Where before the base was made of plywood material, the current version uses a windowed plastic base which is quite flexible. Even with the legs set as low as possible, the legs will fold under the seat when side-loaded as is common for our usage. Immediately.

In other words, this thing is f'in dangerous for our purposes now.

IIRC this was made in Mexico or USA before? This current version is China made.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

For what it's worth, I'm still searching for a good padded seat to fit over an existing toilet. I used to use a vendor called CloudSoft, which made padded seats, but they went out of business. The other ones I've tried so far have poor quality padding or seem unstable. I awkwardly side transfer and there is a lot of torque and shear placed on the seat when I transfer, so it needs to be extremely solid. The transfer is very tough because the floor is slanted slightly, it's next to a drain. I'm going to try gel overlays, also kcushion, based on some earlier threads.

I purchased a 4-inch toilet riser which allows me more options in toilet seats. The photo looks like it's grey but it is white and matches the white porcelain toilet.

They also have a 2-inch riser.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by tprewitt; 03-09-2019 at 08:21 PM.

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a 1/4" polycarbonate sheet and cutting it down in the shape of the seat base and sandwiching it between the seat legs and base so the thing isnt so floppy and foldy-uppy. Pretty terrifying when you sink into the toilet along with the seat itself. Cant find any better side access style seat, and a real shame this seat which used to be great got so cheaped out that it is unusable in its current iteration. Gotta do what I gotta do I guess. Amazon has a vendor selling 24x24" 1/4" polycarbonate sheet for about $35 delivered. Of course I'll have to get ripped off on another useless seat for this project, after cutting into the one I just got to see just what horror show was hiding under there, lol.

Heads up that lumex product has been on back order for months now. I co-own a dme in Arizona and it probably won't be available for a long time. So yes I would probably search for a different one and stay away from Drive medical products they are junk

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    Heads up that lumex product has been on back order for months now. I co-own a dme in Arizona and it probably won't be available for a long time.
    Huh?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019VXS44/

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The reviews on that are not encouraging to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    The reviews on that are not encouraging to say the least.
    Ha! I see my review is on there too now.