Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 years after the IBM AT 8086 came out people still call for help with viruses

40 years after the IBM AT 8086 came out people still call for help with viruses

A little primer on malware, viruses, and the most common breaches to PC security. Three simple steps to give you the most protection.

The weakest points in your security chain between the Internet and your computer is you & your router. Older routers are vulnerable Because they are old and use older technology, and new routers without updated current bios are also, just a fact.

Clicking on an email link that you are unsure of is the easiest way to get something into your machine that will hurt it. Always check the properties of an unknown link to see were it actually directs you to. Right click the link and see the properties it will give you the information you need.

Current virus definitions in your Antivirus software whether it be AVG, That or another brand make sure everything comes a into your computer is scanned with current virus definitions before you open it.

These three simple steps will take care of 95% of your security issues.

40 years ago the IBM PC was just a twinkle in the eye of some IBM conspirators in Boca Raton!

The 8086 ("eighty eighty-six", also called iAPX 86) is a 16-bit microprocessor chip designed by Intel between early 1976 and mid-1978, when it was released.

In Microsoft the attack surface grows geometrically. I am not sure how long this can be sustained. When you ask the infinite monkeys to fix a vulnerability that you know about you get 10 more than the Chinese PLA know about, but you don't. So go from a problem that you can deal with to 10 that you can't deal with.

Code:
    next_year = this_year * this_year / last_year;
    This is why defence run the original XP unpatched with just one application and its O.R.A.C.L.E. data source. They use QEMU KVM and its fake networking to validate wanted IPC and drop the rest. VDI stitches all the VMs into a single screen. If you patch Windows you get shot.

Anything created by intelligence is not purely random, but the Windows NT kernel is purely random.

Infinite monkeys can only produce infinite monkey shit.

The first computer system I ever built was an 8086, complete with a 8087 math coprocessor, and eventually, a 10MB hard card to eliminate booting from a floppy disk or into GW basic. And that was cool back in the day until multitasking came into play and the 286 was born… We are getting old!

Blog Entries
    First IBM computer I owned (not including Commodore and Texas Instruments) was their Portable PC; got it in 1984 when I was almost 13. It was an 8088 though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_...sonal_Computer
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

You guys are high-rollers! My first computer was a IBM Thinkpad with a busted screen and sporting a 286 IIRC. Garbage picked that from the insurance industry job I had at the time. For a monitor I had some sort of 14" thing. The internet (what it was back then) came in at a blazing 2400 baud on an AOL dialup.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The internet (what it was back then) came in at a blazing 2400 baud on an AOL dialup.
    I remember crawling along with "Prodigy" and then going 'up' to AOL... kind of miss the phone connection ping sound and machine telling me, 'You've got mail'.
    Last edited by ChesBay; 09-25-2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: eta / typo

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    I remember crawling along with "Prodigy" no then going 'up' to AOL... kind of miss the phone connection sound and machine telling me, 'You've got mail'.
    Haha, yep. I remember 'upgrading' that 2400 modem card for a 14.4. I think it was a good day if it actually synched at that speed, lol. I bailed on AOL for EarthLink as it was cheaper and no timer on it. Was considering MCS.net also, the guy that ran that locally went on to be sort of an internet right-wing star with marketticker.com (Denninger). Those trailblazing early days, amazing how something moderately technical turned into something all-inclusive for any meathead with a smartphone.

Interesting how technology goes around. Back in the day I was pirating DirecTV with modified access cards. Then they switched to if I remember right, the "HU" card which was much more secure making me pay for service. Toward the end of my actually paying for it, I think it was around $110.00 a month with taxes. Then my work bought DirecTV and now I pay $11.04 a month with taxes. Came full circle on that one, pretty much back to 'almost free' like nearly 20 years ago

First computer I owned was a Radio Shack Model 100 which, as legend has it, contained some of the last software ever developed by Bill Gates personally.
    Had a built in 300 baud modem