Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Powerchair comparisons & advice

Your doing it the right way reach out to users people that ride in these chairs not none disabled they have no idea what its like to be in these chairs 12-18 hours a day 7 days a week...I would never trust a pt/ot they are only as good as the training they go to. A far as your Doctor they dont know one power chair from the next.

It also doesn't matter if your medicare, Medicaid or private insurance you still need the documentation to justify the needs past your basic power chair base.

Your a 100% Pride makes nothing but crap, cheap parts, motors out sourced to China to save money and smaller batteries also cost cutting at the users experience.

Pride got so bad in the product they shut down there Pride webpage because they had more complaints then praise.

Permobil is a great brand and the chairs are built in Tn.

Never trust a DME for advice because they are many times motivated by commission and profit so the chairs they make more money on can sometimes be the chairs they push.

I would tell your DME to set up some demos with Permobil for a weekend drop off at your house so you can try these new chairs in your own environment, home, work, school, on public transportation, in your van if your drive or are driven etc.

I roll in a Permobil F3 and was a mid wheel drive user for years...The F3 is so crazy comfortable but it did take me about 90 days to get comfortable with front wheel drive.

If you have not heard Permobil just came out with the mid wheel all new design m3.

I would try both once you decide the base that works for you then Permobil rep and your DME can work on features and dont forgot to look at adding active reach and seat elevation along with tilt and recline.

Getting a new chair can be very over whelming if you need help and direction drop me a private message more then willing to help and teach you some self advocating tricks and hacks.

I helped someone here a few months back and he was 100% sure he could never get a new chair and he is rolling in style now with a Permobil f3!

The Permobil chairs assembled near Nashville, TN have chassis made in China. Some other Permobil components are also made in China, such as control boxes, batteries, etc. Saw this when I toured the plant last year.

(KLD)

plz check out the QUICKIE also, bought mine in august this thing works soo good out in the REAL world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlEJ...ature=youtu.be

I've used quickie for 11 year very reliable and easy to maintain. Permobil a great chair but hard to get decent repair tech's if needed and their electronics are very involved and very few techs can fix. pride has come a long way in the past 10 years but are still on the low end of the power chair list and are pushed by most dme's because of the huge profit margin as the company urges these to be 1st choice ... invacare are ok but a little aged ... be your own advocate dont allow them to push you into a sub-par chair . if you must switch dme's and make sure your ot/pt is on board with what you request. remember it will be 5 years before you get another one ... HAPPY WHEELING

Thank you for the responses about Quickie as well, I hadn't really considered them. It seems they're worth looking into as well!

air-ohs, that video is awesome!

I've tried a few powerchairs over the last week or so. My local DME folks tell me the Permobil F5 is the only one with a standing function.

Can someone verify this? I'm certain I want this feature as I would hope to get back to work that requires giving presentations at a lectern and what not.

Should add that, other than not having a standing feature, the Quickie I rode was great.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I've tried a few powerchairs over the last week or so. My local DME folks tell me the Permobil F5 is the only one with a standing function.

Can someone verify this? I'm certain I want this feature as I would hope to get back to work that requires giving presentations at a lectern and what not.

Should add that, other than not having a standing feature, the Quickie I rode was great.
    The Permobil F5 has both options standing and you can order it none standing.

Some get it none standing for the faster speed and bigger size.

On the Quickie does it only come with a 6" caster?

CP here I love my quickie qm-710 has a half marathon distance with extra for when you get home. But get your DME to switch the manual/drive lever over otherwise it will get caught on corners and you will need someone help you to get unstuck and put you back in drive