Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Powerchair comparisons & advice

I had a bunch regular powerchairs before needing cmplex rehab chairs and when my wife moved from walker to rollator to scooter to a powerchair, she had a few powerchairs, too.
    That first one the chain driven hospital style manual chair that had a chain drive(I forget the brand). I loved that awful looking thing and didn't mind the dripping oil from chain at all. My first powerchair was a hospital style chair with chain-drive. Freedom! I didn't need no one to push me!! That chain a slapping I was golden!
    We had several brands and models like, Jet 1HD, Jazzy 1100, had 3 of those tanks! A Jazzy 1170, Invcare Pronto 91 and few I don't even remember names of. My wife had some small chairs from Golden and Merits that I don't remember models and Invacare Ranger.

Complex Rehab Powerchairs we have had: 21st Century Scientific H-Frames- They are solid as a rock and weighs alot! I've had 2 of these babies and shame more dealers don't want to deal with them!
    Amysystem AllTrack R3 HD- Great chair, RWD Hybrid. Good speed and all seating components works well.
    Permobil C350- Another Great chair, except goes in "turtle" speed with articulating foot-plateform is at 90 degrees. Guess cause platform could hit front castors. Otherwise the chair was great and built well as well as 3 Corpus seating was great, too!
    Quantum Q6 Edge- Again a great chair IMHO. Well built, good in tight quarters with small footprint. Only drawback is getting use to 6 wheels, took bit time get use to that.

Seat cushions, so far my wife has been lucky with no big skin problem so she enjoys the Corpus seating cushion. Myself, I've not been so lucky but been a loyal ROHO customer for about 17 years. ROHO has always been a "GREAT!" company to deal with as well as a "GREAT!" product! I hope that since they were bought by Permobil that customer service continues to be as good as beforehand.

Biggest thing about powerchairs is the DME and their Techs! We were lucky with independent DME that we stayed with for over 23 years because they were great! Also, they were quick on repairs, loaners and quick when needing to obtain new chair and seating system. It has sold to a nation wide company now and not had any dealings on obtaining new chair with them, yet.
    "Good Luck!"

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    I've always used Invacare (Storm Torque, Ranger X, etc) and they are great, especially if you want the traditional rear wheel drive (with 4 wheels, not 6). What I've heard about their company is that they were forced by the FDA to shut down manufacturing in 2013 (in Ohio only?) for quality control reasons, mostly due to paperwork, not quality. I was allowed to purchase a new Storm Torque 3 this year because its a replacement for my old Storm Torque, but I'm not sure if you can get one as a new buyer. I still highly recommend them. This article from Jan 2016 explains more about the the FDA problem:

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/301259997
    "Whatever you think the world is withholding from you, you are withholding from the world." --Eckhart Tolle

My information may be dated but I believe that if you are relying on Medicaid you will only be able to get a low end power chair like the Pride. Unlike Medicare, the DME can only accept the Medicaid reimbursement for the chair - you cannot contribute out of pocket to get a better chair or options you want as you could if covered by Medicare. I don't think a Permobil or other higher end chairs could be considered. I checked on this with a DME I work with this week and he seemed to confirm this.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=dnvrdave;1832238]I've always used Invacare (Storm Torque, Ranger X, etc) and they are great, especially if you want the traditional rear wheel drive (with 4 wheels, not 6)/QUOTE]
    I've followed dnvrdave's path since I had to move to a powerchair. Since 2000 I've had 2 Invacare Arrow Storms. Had to replace GB motors twice in 14 years on 3G Arrow. Just got my current Arrow via grandfathered route like dnvrdave. Two years on the new chair with no problems. Love these quiet powerful chairs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    My information may be dated but I believe that if you are relying on Medicaid you will only be able to get a low end power chair like the Pride. Unlike Medicare, the DME can only accept the Medicaid reimbursement for the chair - you cannot contribute out of pocket to get a better chair or options you want as you could if covered by Medicare. I don't think a Permobil or other higher end chairs could be considered. I checked on this with a DME I work with this week and he seemed to confirm this.
    Keep in mind that Medicaid is a partially federally funded state-run program. Regulations on things like DME coverage vary from state to state.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I have worked with several people here advocating. Chairs are not funded based on Pride vs Permobil vs Invacare etc.

Medicare funded many Permobil F3/F3, M3s with seat elevation, recline and tilt and a lot more options on the 1st attempt.

One just needs to understand the process and work with your DME to make sure the order is done right and in a proper time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    I have worked with several people here advocating. Chairs are not funded based on Pride vs Permobil vs Invacare etc.

Medicare funded many Permobil F3/F3, M3s with seat elevation, recline and tilt and a lot more options on the 1st attempt.

One just needs to understand the process and work with your DME to make sure the order is done right and in a proper time frame.
    Yes, Medicare allows a wide array of options, Medicaid less so. The original poster is on Medicaid. Here in Michigan the vendor has to accept whatever Medicaid pays as 100% payment. Pride seems to be gunning for these reimbursements offering the lowest priced chair and providing needed options like tilt and recline, elevating seat, etc. without the reliability and better design of other chairs. Here in Michigan the Medicaid recipient doesn't have a wide range of choices.

I had a quickie p200 for about 10 years never had to replace the part! Very dependable and excellent. After that I got and Invacare TDX-SP which I really liked, only one motor replaced in 10 years however it would only recline about 75% with the 3G seating. The only complaint I had with that is you could not take off the armrests. Now I have a permobil m300 which I'm not really fond of, I really want to go back to my Invacare

My suggestion would go with either quickie or Invacare
    C4 incomplete since 1985