Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 year anniversary today

10 year anniversary today

how time flys, can't believe I'm still in a damn wheelchair after all these years. Ah well, it is what it is.

Anyways, I was wondering, Im headed back state side and going to do a routine check up, what should I have them look out for? obv run the blood tests but what do 'old time' SCI folks need to be on the look out for? maybe an MRI or something?

Hi Imight, nice to see you!

If you're not having new symptoms, it seems to me that just the usual checkup should be fine. Gallbladder problems are an issue with SCI, but you've already had yours removed. Usually they won't order an MRI unless there's a medical reason for it (i.e. symptoms) because of the insurance reimbursement problems we have over here.

Safe trip!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

good to see you too, long time. I'm still around asia (just got back from india), so I wont be back until summer, but was just wondering what I should look out for. And yes, my gallbladder is long gone lol, maybe I should check my bowels or something? Im not as regular as I should be (sometimes only twice a week). other than that, I don't have any symptoms, I just have nightmares of waking up to uncontrollable AD one day and not getting to the hospital on time, I sometimes feel like my body will one day be a ticking time bomb against myself, but thats all mental. the mental aspect Im struggling because I just 'feel' like this body isn't right, which it isnt im not AB, so theres always that lingering feeling that something could just randomly go wrong . so far tho, im good.

oh sometimes after a night of heavy drinking i have really low blood pressure and feel dizzy, but i take iron pills and it sorts it out. dunno why but it does.

39 yrs for me, yesterday 5/20

had slipped my mind

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    39 yrs for me, yesterday 5/20

had slipped my mind
    last 2 years it slipped mine too lol. but the big 10 I remembered for some strange reason.

you're a veteran, how has the ride been? anything I should look out for around this time? I know my hips must be fucked sitting for 10 years, but i guess I dont really need to worry about that right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post
    ...maybe I should check my bowels or something? Im not as regular as I should be (sometimes only twice a week). other than that, I don't have any symptoms, I just have nightmares of waking up to uncontrollable AD one day and not getting to the hospital on time, I sometimes feel like my body will one day be a ticking time bomb against myself, but thats all mental. the mental aspect Im struggling because I just 'feel' like this body isn't right, which it isnt im not AB, so theres always that lingering feeling that something could just randomly go wrong . so far tho, im good...
    I totally understand. It's terrifying to think of hidden things that might be going on. Thing is, MRIs, PET scans, CT scans so often yield incidental findings that would never amount to anything - but which can result in unnecessary treatments that DO cause problems. SCI tends to cause slowing of bowel evacuation on its own, without any other pathology present. It might be best to just ask the doc to do whatever he or she thinks is necessary, given the amount of time you've been in the chair. My philosophy is usually "less is more," but then I've become rather cynical about such things.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I totally understand. It's terrifying to think of hidden things that might be going on. Thing is, MRIs, PET scans, CT scans so often yield incidental findings that would never amount to anything - but which can result in unnecessary treatments that DO cause problems. SCI tends to cause slowing of bowel evacuation on its own, without any other pathology present. It might be best to just ask the doc to do whatever he or she thinks is necessary, given the amount of time you've been in the chair. My philosophy is usually "less is more," but then I've become rather cynical about such things.
    yea I hear you. probably nothing. just do some blood tests and see what he says. someone just told me liver and bladder should be checked, maybe see a urologist just as a precaution.

Bone density, though there's nothing they can really do for you.

Get a check up with a urologist familiar with neurogenic bladder.

If memory serves, you could walk a little, but it was a struggle? Should try to get into a trail with the epidural stimulation that seems to be the hot thing now. You'll need a bone density anyway if you choose to do that.

((Imight))
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Bone density, though there's nothing they can really do for you.

Get a check up with a urologist familiar with neurogenic bladder.

If memory serves, you could walk a little, but it was a struggle? Should try to get into a trail with the epidural stimulation that seems to be the hot thing now. You'll need a bone density anyway if you choose to do that.

((Imight))
    yea i walk but not like I used too. mostly I stand to shower or pee.

what is this epidural stimulation and how does it benefit? doubt itll do anything more than I do on my own.

Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12