Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about getting a Colostomy

Quote Originally Posted by cjo View Post
    Are there any concerns (and hopefully solutions if there are concerns) about odor?
    I dealt with odor when I first had mine and a friend turned me on to these. One a day and I'm good.

http://www.allegromedical.com/ostomy-supplies-c529/devrom-chewable-tablets-p176388.html?utm_campaign=Comparison%20Shopping&ut m_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&CS_003=9164468&CS _010=8ab281020bb66dff010bb673a34b0be5&gclid=CjwKEA jw3pTJBRChgZ3e7s_YhAkSJAASG9Vr4vD_ypbNrB0SU1dj1bbz VKExZHLWUDaM4rB67ZT-choCI1Pw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^53190000973-device^c-plaid^95325363613-sku^DEVROM@ADL4ALLEGRO-adType^PLA#DEVROM
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

For those that experienced bloating and gas retention prior to having a colostomy, did you experience improvement after the colostomy?

It will depend partially on the location of the ostomy. You may need to watch what foods give you gas and bloating, and regulate how much of them you eat at anyone time. I do know people feel as though they have less bloating - but I am not sure that is true for everyone. "You may need to adjust your diet for high gas forming foods if you have a problem with this. Also, get ostomy bags with a vent that includes a charcoal filter. Sometimes you may need to go into the bathroom to let excessive gas out of your bag. There are also specific deodorant drops or solutions you can put inside your bag when changing it. Your ostomy nurse (CWOCN) is your best resource for these types of issues." kld
    I would encourage you to go to the Wound and Ostomy Care Website for further information.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    Seriously , What foods don’t create gas? it’s almost ridiculous comment, A byproduct of digestion is methane gas, period. Yes , Some food do create more then some others but for sure I’d bet that it differs by person. I’d also bet that if you were a gassy person before then you’ll be a gassy person after. And if you’re a quad Just how Do you expect to step away to someplace private To release the gas from a belly bag that’s about to explode ?????
    And if your abdominal appearance bothers you now then how discreet can a bloated bag be???

I really don’t think that the tone used was necessary. That being said, not all foods cause gas. There are some that are characteristically do. And you are correct that it varies from person to person.

Managing a colostomy is no different in theory than managing any other part of your care. You will have to try different products, timing, etc, your level of injury is not the only thing that may impact your management . It may be more challenging to figure out how to make it work. And neither of us is passing on information that had not been added onto us y others who have gone through similar experiences.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I really don’t think that the tone used was necessary. That being said, not all foods cause gas. There are some that are characteristically do. And you are correct that it varies from person to person.

Managing a colostomy is no different in theory than managing any other part of your care. You will have to try different products, timing, etc, your level of injury is not the only thing that may impact your management . It may be more challenging to figure out how to make it work. And neither of us is passing on information that had not been added onto us y others who have gone through similar experiences.
    ckf
    CKF, Tim C doesn't have a colostomy but comes onto every single colostomy thread basically bashing anything and everything about the procedure. I'm not sure what issue he has with a process that has improved so many lives.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Tone? Please excuse the inability of standard type to add inflection to its message. Please forgive me if I offended. In no way would I disrespect anyone here, or what anyone does to contend with their SCI. Hell, I blew $20k just going to dr Huang 15 yrs ago just cause I couldn't face myself not trying anything possible to deal with neurogenic bladder and bowel problems. I only wish a colo would do for me what it does for others I see here. I live and die daily with pain just from my sp tube, how much more would a colo cause. Our SCIs messed us up in a million different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Tone? Please excuse the inability of standard type to add inflection to its message. Please forgive me if I offended. In no way would I disrespect anyone here, or what anyone does to contend with their SCI. Hell, I blew $20k just going to dr Huang 15 yrs ago just cause I couldn't face myself not trying anything possible to deal with neurogenic bladder and bowel problems. I only wish a colo would do for me what it does for others I see here. I live and die daily with pain just from my sp tube, how much more would a colo cause. Our SCIs messed us up in a million different ways.
    Really don't want to divert this thread, but am curious what the pain of the supra pubic is attributed too?

Blog Entries
    I?d really like to respond but it?s not my thread. SP tube is no great invention to human kind, Maybe just in the eyes of the urologist who thinks it?s clean and neat. Meanwhile he should get one himself. I hope my tone does not draw negative ire