Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a Colostomy

Thinking about getting a Colostomy

I am t5 complete para thinking about getting a colostomy. I've read a few threads on here and have seen that for most people it has been a good decision to get a colostomy.

I just have a few extra questions. I would like to get a temp colostomy so if I don't like I could go back and I also would like to use the irrigation method. So can you do the irrigation method with a temp. colostomy?

Does any have a colostomy and play any wheelchair sports? I play wheelchair basketball and one of my main concerns would be something bad happening with the bag during a game or something. So is there products or something to

make it more secure while playing sports? Also what do people do when they go swimming? I think I would like to get a colostomy because it would make my life easier. Right now I do a bp every other day when I am at a basketball

tournament i have to do it every day(usually in the morning and it usually takes 1-1.5 hours to do). Usually I can go many months without having an accidents but sometimes I'll have a bad week due to something I eat or health reasons(liking being on certain antibiotics).

So I think getting a colostomy would be life changing for me not having to worry about having accidents and would allow me to be more independent. I also would like to know more about the irrigation method- So if you do the irrigation

method every other day is your bag usually pretty clear in between the time you do it and the next time you do it? I would like to keep the bag empty or close to as much as possible? Also how effective is the irrigation method does it

clear you right out?

Thanks In Advance
    Its only at the brink of our own destruction that we learn to change.

sorry just bumping the thread.

Rarely is it recommended to irrigate for colostomy management now days. In order to do this and not also wear an appliance, you need to have a very distal colostomy (like a descending or sigmoid ostomy). The more proximal the colostomy, the more liquid the stool, and the more likely it is that you will get multple stool discharges into the appliance each day. Emptying the bag and cleaning up is not difficult.

You would need to work with a ostomy nurse (usually a CWOCN) before your surgery and following it to find an appliance that will work for you, and also any additional securement devices that will work for very active sports. I have a number of clients who play quad rugby, wheelchair basketball, and who swim who have bowel ostomies.

When I read some of the other threads there were some members who used the irrigation method. Do people not use this irrigation method anymore?

There are still people who had their colostomies done years ago who still irrigate, but it is rarely done with new ostomies.

You should also keep in mind that a so-called "temporary" colostomy is often done as a double barreled colostomy, and these cannot be managed with irrigation generally. They are usually in the transverse colon, and stool is still too liquid. Not all "temporary" colostomies can be reverse, either.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
    I am t5 complete para thinking about getting a colostomy. I've read a few threads on here and have seen that for most people it has been a good decision to get a colostomy.

I just have a few extra questions. I would like to get a temp colostomy so if I don't like I could go back and I also would like to use the irrigation method. So can you do the irrigation method with a temp. colostomy?

Does any have a colostomy and play any wheelchair sports? I play wheelchair basketball and one of my main concerns would be something bad happening with the bag during a game or something. So is there products or something to

make it more secure while playing sports? Also what do people do when they go swimming? I think I would like to get a colostomy because it would make my life easier. Right now I do a bp every other day when I am at a basketball

tournament i have to do it every day(usually in the morning and it usually takes 1-1.5 hours to do). Usually I can go many months without having an accidents but sometimes I'll have a bad week due to something I eat or health reasons(liking being on certain antibiotics).

So I think getting a colostomy would be life changing for me not having to worry about having accidents and would allow me to be more independent. I also would like to know more about the irrigation method- So if you do the irrigation

method every other day is your bag usually pretty clear in between the time you do it and the next time you do it? I would like to keep the bag empty or close to as much as possible? Also how effective is the irrigation method does it

clear you right out?

Thanks In Advance
    I've had my colostomy around 3 years. Best decision I've ever made. Wish I would have done it right after my accident 27 years ago. I use a disposable one piece system. Takes less than 5 minutes to change. Never did irrigation so can't help you there. Sports and swimming shouldn't be a problem.

KLD i would ask that you refer stony things to someone who knows what they are talking about. it is rarely done for new osteomates within the first few months as this is the healing period after that they are ok to irrigate if they wish and are trained to do it. i would encourage you to visit the UOAA website for forums as there is an entire forum there for irrigators.
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

Note above I recommended that she meet with a CWOCN for a pre-operative evaluation. I have worked with SCI patients with colostomies for over 40 years...so I do know something about it!!

(KLD)

Are there any concerns (and hopefully solutions if there are concerns) about odor?

Quote Originally Posted by cjo View Post
    Are there any concerns (and hopefully solutions if there are concerns) about odor?
    You may need to adjust your diet for high gas forming foods if you have a problem with this. Also, get ostomy bags with a vent that includes a charcoal filter. Sometimes you may need to go into the bathroom to let excessive gas out of your bag. There are also specific deodorant drops or solutions you can put inside your bag when changing it. Your ostomy nurse (CWOCN) is your best resource for these types of issues.

(KLD)