Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on acupuncture and out of country medical practices?

thoughts on acupuncture and out of country medical practices?

I am a c4-c5 complete quad. I am curious if anyone has tried acupuncture and if so what did you get out of it?

Recently went to a 2nd session to appease my mother who believes it'll help me in the end. Personally I'm in the mindset that although it's not going to hurt me, I see no value in acupuncture for SCI. I'm sure it's helped many with pain management, but I have no sensation below my shoulders so I don't really experience and sense of pain. The acupuncturist that I met admitted he has no previous experience with quadriplegics, let alone any other SCI's. The first session he stuck 14 needles into my legs and 1 in my upper lip. My left ankle reacted with a spasm. He then looked at me and basically said that my ankle moving like that was a good sign and that it could be "fixable", that the connection is still there. I tried telling him that I have muscle spasms fairly often but the man doesn't really speak English.

From my mother's point of view, this is all in preparation to take me to Korea because apparently they have a definite "cure" for paralysis. I would think that if that were true, wouldn't S.Korea share that type of information with the U.S.? As far as I'm aware for SCI's they are not doing anything different than our doctors here. Other then going through the FDA or whatever safety measures that are required before doing anything experimental.

This is the basic synopsis for our.... conversations/arguments...

I don't know. Should I finish the acupuncture sessions? I want to be a good son and make her happy but I don't want her wasting money.
    Last edited by jaemc; 05-17-2017 at 11:40 AM.

i don't believe in acupuncture for Restoring movement or sensation in sci either but I would be interested in any information you have about this south korean "definite" procedure ...any website or links to inform myself about it...about my thoughts on acupuncture; sorry if that is a kick in the chiclets but thats what I believe
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

more in-depth about the reason for my acupuncture thoughts is simply that I I have never heard any actual verifiable instances of anyone regaining any function due to acupuncture...I haven't done any deep research on acupuncture and sci, my reason is Honestly very simple: I have been Searching on all kinda things regarding sci cure research for almost 15 years and nobody has gotten anything but more in debt when pursuing acupuncture for return of function in sci

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

I've done it. Besides calming music, scented candles and less money there isn't much more to it.

From my mother's point of view, this is all in preparation to take me to Korea because apparently they have a definite "cure" for paralysis.
    NOT. The so-called cures out there are scams and charlatans. Don't waste your money or your mother's money on these. You can search here through our Cure forum for many discussions of supposed cures in South Korea and elsewhere abroad, none of which have proven to be legitimate.

Acupuncture may help with neuropathic pain and spasticity, but it does not cure spinal cord injury. Great if you are doing it for stress reduction or pain, but you again will be wasting your time and money if you think it will cause your spinal cord to heal.

You are 32 yo. I know this may be a cultural thing, but your mother should not be determining your health care or treatments. Make these decisions for yourself.

(KLD)

I went to an acupuncturist for something else not nerve related. While I was there I asked him about nerve damage and acupuncture. He said that it really does not help with nerve damage. At least the guy was honest.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Acupuncture relieves my paresthesia and nerve pain...for about 1-2 hours. No miraculous cure though.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Oh I don't plan on traveling anywhere. I'm just very confused to the absolute bias thoughts my parents have about Korean medicine. I've even found a Korean neurologist thinking she would maybe listen to someone of the same background but that's proven to be false. The neurologist did share that he got his education here in America but to my mother that registered as "Oh, so he doesn't know anything about Korean practices". I don't know. Maybe my mother is just not willing to accept that this could be it. If that's the case.... well....

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    i don't believe in acupuncture for Restoring movement or sensation in sci either but I would be interested in any information you have about this south korean "definite" procedure ...any website or links to inform myself about it...about my thoughts on acupuncture; sorry if that is a kick in the chiclets but thats what I believe
    No need to apologize to me. Like I mentioned I've gone only twice and it was to make her happy but I have no interest in going back so I'm not.

As to to the definite cure... Some retired acupuncturist showed her a youtube video of a Korean kid having gone through some procedure and is walking now. I saw this video and the only that was mentioned was how he got injured. I don't recall if they even said what level of injury it was. So obviously the video means nothing to me.

ok, the apology was just my way of softening a blunt blow. I mean sometimes people get mad at you if you tell them that no current treatments exist or if you point out sham treatments they actually lash out at you ...if I had a nickel for everytime someone called me a "hater" on facebook for getting into a conversation and telling people that they shouldnt currently go overseas or to south America for a "proven" stemcell treatment ...lol I guess you can call me HATERMANNNN to the rescue