Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hospital beds

Hospital beds

My old Invacare adjustable bed went up in smoke today. Head suddenly started to rise then smoke poured out. My wife was in the room so she unplugged it. Don't want to think about what could have happened.
    Time for anew one. A solid base has been suggested insted of the spring base as the old one. I use a LAL mattress

I assume you have the Invacare homecare hospital bed frame? Never have liked these, because they don't go very low to the ground, and because of the spring deck you mentioned.

Either a solid deck or a slat/wire mesh (non-spring) deck will give you better support for your LAL mattress.

One that we have used a lot is the UCXT from Joerns. It not only has a wire mesh deck, but goes low to the floor making transfer from bed to wheelchair much easier, and it can be ordered with an optional battery back-up so that you don't loose the adjustable features in a power outage:
    http://www.joerns.com/product/8/2466...x?categoryID=8

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I assume you have the Invacare homecare hospital bed frame? Never have liked these, because they don't go very low to the ground, and because of the spring deck you mentioned.

Either a solid deck or a slat/wire mesh (non-spring) deck will give you better support for your LAL mattress.

One that we have used a lot is the UCXT from Joerns. It not only has a wire mesh deck, but goes low to the floor making transfer from bed to wheelchair much easier, and it can be ordered with an optional battery back-up so that you don't loose the adjustable features in a power outage:
    http://www.joerns.com/product/8/2466...x?categoryID=8

(KLD)
    Are you leaning towards the UltraCare over the EasyCare mainly for the battery backup? (I'm buying one soon and the EasyCare is quite a bit less expensive.)

Thanks,
    Dan

The EasyCare does not go as low to the ground as the UCXT does either.

(KLD)

I use a Joerns EasyCare, roll in low about 7" plus mattress height.

EasyCare floor to deck minimum is 9". UCXT is 7".

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The EasyCare does not go as low to the ground as the UCXT does either.

(KLD)
    Gotcha. Thanks!

my wife and I had bought a used home health store warehouse and we have about 10-15 Invacare hospital beds. If anyone is looking for one for parts or the whole thing shoot me an email way only have the headboard/footboard for about four of those but the rest are frames
    C4 incomplete since 1985

The hospital bed I was using stopped working really well and barely moved sometimes. I just got a new one but according to the owner of the facility I live in bed rails are not allowed so I have to be really careful when I'm turned. My insurance doesn't cover the elevate feature of beds so I'm stuck at one height. Fortunately we use a Hoyer lift to get me out of bed sometimes.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.