Thread: Injured Bicep

Injured Bicep

Like an idiot I thought I could man handle a carpet shampooer, after about 10 minutes I realized it was just to heavy for me (63yr old C5/6 incomplete) and stopped. Within about an hour I was having lots of upper arm/shoulder pain. The shoulder pain has calmed down but the upper bicep is giving me a lot of grief, hopefully it's just a strain and not a torn muscle or ligament . I can still transfer, with a fair amount of discomfort, but the biggest problem is when I try to pull on something, like lift my leg to put my foot on the foot rest. I can manage that but I don't think I'll be able to pull my leg up far enough to get my pants on. Since I live alone, that's going to be a real problem.

Has anyone ever had this happen? Any tips on speeding up recovery. As you all know, when your in a wheelchair there's no way not to use your arm, so I can't just put my arm in a sling until it heals.

Thanks

You really need to rest this muscle. I know that is not what you want to hear, but it is the best advice I can give. You can try icing it for a couple of days and then warm (not HOT) to the area. Also some anti-inflammatories may help. You may want to call your PCP for advice on which one is best for you.
    ckf

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You really need to rest this muscle. I know that is not what you want to hear, but it is the best advice I can give. You can try icing it for a couple of days and then warm (not HOT) to the area. Also some anti-inflammatories may help. You may want to call your PCP for advice on which one is best for you.
    ckf
    Yeah, I hit the anti-inflammatories pretty hard yesterday (1000mg Naproxon and 600 mg Ibuprofen) and plan on doing the same today. It seems to be getting better, not nearly as much sharp pain when I pull on something. I'm starting to feel confident that I'll be back to my daily routine within in a few days. It always scares the hell out of me when I injure myself in a way that threatens my independence.

Thanks for the reply

Update

Out of nowhere a huge bruise has appeared on the bicep. I mean purple/black/red, nasty looking. Nothing the first two days. Only thing I can think of is I massaged that area last night after I went to bed. Pain has not increased, if anything there's less pain. I have no idea what this means.

Somehow, you injured the tissue in that area. It sounds like it is probably from massaging it too vigorously. However, if the bruise gets worse or there is pain, call your health care provider.
    ckf

Try wrapping an ace bandage around the muscle.

An ace is probably not going to do anything. It will not hurt you, but really doesn't help. Don't put it on too tightly or too loose. Firm is what you are shooting for. You can ice the bruise, anti-inflammatories (again) and rest it. No more massaging! lol. ckf

Ace works for me. I won't say it solves the problem. But it helps to contain it.

Are you on anticoagulants of any type? It sounds like you created a bleed at the site of the injury by too much massage. You may have had a small muscle tear initially, which usually does bleed. Massage can break up the clot and cause more bleeding. If you are not significantly better at this point, and have been resting, you need to see your physician.

(KLD)