Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diaphragmatic Hernia

jim that is not what that article said that's all i'm saying are you sure it wasn't a haitial hernia he diagnosed you with? as those aren't dangerous just uncomfortable
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Yes, my surgery is for the diaphragmatic.

I am asymptomatic and can't really do it before then. He said it's ok.

s long ass you are asymptomatic and you know what to look for, you should be ok. If you have confidence in your surgeon, than he is the boss. Please let him know if anything changes! As soon as you possibly can.

ckf

Yes, my father (75 year old para) has a massive hiatal hernia.

Because of it, he usually has his entire stomach, most of his pancreas and other stuff that sits in his chest (instead of where it belongs.... below the diaphragm in the belly!) and pushes up his left lung. He has had a hiatal hernia for many many decades, and it probably worsened during his accident that caused his SCI. Because of it, he has chronic severe reflux that is now under control with medications, being careful not to overeat, sleeping on a wedge. His hernia is particularly concerning because of its large size and because sometimes if he overeats his stomach can twist causing severe severe pain - basically, a stomach attack (ischemia). This is potentially very dangerous, and is the reason why at one point he considered surgery when these attacks were more frequent. But he decided against it, as his symptoms were improving with conservative measures.

He is older (75) has had other abdominal surgeries in the past (so scarring from those may be left behind in his belly complicating any future surgeries), and his surgery would likely be a bigger one (open not laproscopic) and so the risk and recovery time would be much greater.

May I ask... why are they repairing it, if you do not have symptoms? See the current guidelines for treatment...

http://emedicine.medscape.com/articl...sOtJla9Q%3D%3D

My Dad's surgeons learned a few years ago that the standard of care now for someone who is asymptomatic with a hiartal hearnia or with mild/manageable symptoms is conservative (ie no surgery). So even though my father's hernia is higher risk, he made the decision not to do surgery and his doctors now agree.

Has your surgeon done a lot of these laproscopically?

I have 2 hiatal hernias but they don't need to be repaired. The diaphragmatic hernia is being repaired because, although I don't have symptoms at this time, the CT shows it is crowding my heart and right lung. This could be a major issue down the road.

My surgeon has repaired many laparoscopically.

How many is "many"?

FYI - hiatal hernia is just a sub-type of diaphragmatic hernia. Not sure what you mean by 2 hiatal hernias....

My father's hernia also compresses his lung and heart and is due to a very large hole in his diaphragm. Do you have other organs that have moved through the hernia into your chest because of your hole?

My Dad got opinions from 3 surgeons, including a laproscopic expert, as well as from his gastroenterologist and lung and heart doctors. The laproscopic surgeon was eager to do the surgery. The other two surgical doctor's opinions were much more tempered and in the end the said definitely don't fix if symptoms are improving, which agreed with new National guidelines/recommendations for management of this. None of the medical doctors (gastro, lung, heart) recommended the surgery.

Of course, we don't know your exact situation. You would probably have fewer surgical complications than my Dad.

It just makes me worried whenever I hear that something was just "discovered" on a routine blood test/xray/CT scan and then doctors say "we must fix this...." even though you don't have any symptoms from it. If we all had full body MRI scans, we all would probably have something funky going on somewhere. But that doesn't mean we have to fix it.

Best wishes with your surgery on Tuesday!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Thanks Bonnette.

On Tuesday, they attempted the laparoscopic hernia repair but were unable to complete. My colon is partially through the diaphragmatic hernia and is attached to my lung. They couldn't do it safely laparoscopically and will have to open me up. This time, a cardiothoracic surgeon be in the lead. I am also getting a second opinion. Fun, fun

Ugh. Good luck!
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear this.

How is the recovery? Are you doing ok?

The open procedure is a big one. Keep us posted.