Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diaphragmatic Hernia

Oh boy. I am so sorry to hear this news, Jim. Glad you're getting a second opinion...and especially glad that the surgeon recognized that a laparoscopic repair could not be accomplished before further damage was done. Please keep us posted, and very best wishes to you as you consider your options and make decisions.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Hi again Jim, I was just wondering...what would be the consequences of doing nothing (since you aren't symptomatic)? Does your surgeon think that you will become symptomatic at some point? Seems like nothing is ever simple or straightforward, with SCI.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Ugh. Good luck!
    Thanks Jen

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear this.

How is the recovery? Are you doing ok?

The open procedure is a big one. Keep us posted.
    I'm almost back to normal because they didn't do much other than make 6 incisions and probe around. No stitches outside, they glued me back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Hi again Jim, I was just wondering...what would be the consequences of doing nothing (since you aren't symptomatic)? Does your surgeon think that you will become symptomatic at some point? Seems like nothing is ever simple or straightforward, with SCI.
    Even though I don't show symptoms, my lung is compressed, intestine is partially twisted, and it could be affecting blood flow to my heart. They have never seen this before so the procedure will probably wind up in a journal. Hope it goes well!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Even though I don't show symptoms, my lung is compressed, intestine is partially twisted, and it could be affecting blood flow to my heart. They have never seen this before so the procedure will probably wind up in a journal. Hope it goes well!
    Wow, it is amazing that you're not symptomatic, with all of that going on...definitely journal material! Thank heaven you're not in pain, especially with the partially twisted intestine.

I'm always astonished at how the body reacts when SCI is present...on examination and imaging studies, sometimes major findings are not problems we're even aware of; whereas other issues cause a lot of pain and discomfort, yet tests don't show anything alarming. That's how it's been for me, anyway.

Well, my very best wishes for a completely successful repair and resolution of all the problems revealed by the laparoscopy. I'm so glad you're not in pain while you wait for the next steps.