Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tried Peristeen once - any advice before trying again?

Tried Peristeen once - any advice before trying again?

My Dad (75 year old para) has had a rough time with bowels and hemorrhoids, particularly since increasing his pain medications, and decided to try Peristeen. He had his first experience in the clinic with a SCI nurse. Overall, the nurse thought it went well. No problem inserting the catheter with the nurse assisting despite his hemorrhoids, the balloon sealed well with only one pump (!?), and he managed holding in 1000ml of fluid. He was crazy uncomfortable because he was on a terrible plastic commode. It took about 10-20' before things starting coming back out in stages, and it was a bit ..... messy. Not great solid yield. Nurse thought he may need to use more water.

My Dad was a little traumatized by the experience, particularly because he had to return to the toilet a couple times later in the day. Once for a small accident, and again in the evening because he felt he wasn't empty yet. So by the end of the day his rear end was screaming with pain and irritated hemorrhoids.

So he was thinking he wasn't willing to try it again.

But his nurse and doctor are really encouraging him to try it every day for at least a week to see if he can get things working.

My father has a few questions for others who are happy with Peristeen about what their early experience was like.

[ ] Did any of you have a rough time in the beginning, with accidents or variability?

[ ] Did all of you start with using it every day, or did anyone use it just every other day in the beginning?

[ ] How long does it take before the water comes out after removing the catheter, and does it tend to come out all at once or in stages? Do any of you strain while waiting for the water to come down, or just do abdominal massage/bending etc...?

[ ] How much fluid do you use?

My father has a flaccid LMN bowel and it is quite dilated (seen on colonoscopy a few years back), so they suggested he should start using Peristeen with 1000cc of fluid, and increase the volume to possibly 2000cc of fluid. Anyone else with bowels like him, doing things similarly?

[ ] Do any of you struggle with swelling/edema in your legs, and variable cath volumes, and does that have an effect on your Peristeen effects.... or visa versa?

[ ] Also, did anyone give up on Peristeen, and if so... why?

Thanks a lot for your input. It will help my Dad, who is considering a week long trial of Peristeen next week......

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    My Dad (75 year old para) has had a rough time with bowels ....
    [ ] Did any of you have a rough time in the beginning, with accidents or variability?

Not really. You still need a reasonable diet and drink lots of water. If you're constipated, Peristeen won't work as well and you may have accidents or urge to go later. Going every day can help clear it up, but diet is the key.

[ ] Did all of you start with using it every day, or did anyone use it just every other day in the beginning?

Every other day.

[ ] How long does it take before the water comes out after removing the catheter, and does it tend to come out all at once or in stages? Do any of you strain while waiting for the water to come down, or just do abdominal massage/bending etc...?

It takes about 5 minutes to start coming out. I find that just relaxing and letting things run its course is best at first. Near the end it may take a push or two to make sure all the water is out, especially if constipated. My whole process takes about 45 minutes.

The whole bag.

[] My father has a flaccid LMN bowel and it is quite dilated (seen on colonoscopy a few years back), so they suggested he should start using Peristeen with 1000cc of fluid, and increase the volume to possibly 2000cc of fluid. Anyone else with bowels like him, doing things similarly?

I find that 1000 works for me. If I don't feel that it worked well, immediately adding another 1000 has had mixed results. I usually wait a while (> 4 hours) and do it again.

[ ] Do any of you struggle with swelling/edema in your legs, and variable cath volumes, and does that have an effect on your Peristeen effects.... or visa versa?

I don't have those issues.

In my second year. I'll use it until it doesn't work anymore. I've had much better results with Peristeen than suppositories, etc.

Good luck! Don't give up.

Really appreciate you sharing your experience Davey.

My Dad's diet is very good, and he drinks a lot (close to 3 liters most days and more with exercise).

Are most others also using 1000ml? Any using more? The nurse recommended having two bags full of water, and after emptying one moving to the second one....

I would not use any more than 1000 ml. Increasing the fluid may increase the dilation. I would be careful with that. Anytime you change a bowel program, it takes a little time for the body to adjust. My advice is to give it a week or two before changing anything that you are doing. Then, one change at a time. Like one medication or the amount of fluid or whatever. Then give the body a chance to adjust.

ckf

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    over 2 years I've had one accident, but could have been food poisoning. plus I digi stim at the end to make doubly sure I am empty.

I do my bowl program every other day and use peristeen every other day.

20 minutes, comes out in stages, but the first blast is usually most of the fluid. Just wait, massage and bend etc.

500ml seems to work well.. I did try using more. I could never get more than 750ml to stay in. 500ml seems good for me..

- My father has a flaccid LMN bowel and it is quite dilated (seen on colonoscopy a few years back), so they suggested he should start using Peristeen with 1000cc of fluid, and increase the volume to possibly 2000cc of fluid. Anyone else with bowels like him, doing things similarly?

no not similar.

no

no still using it.. seems to keep me alot cleaner. even if the process is a little messier.

like I said.. I tend to do a digi stim at the very end just to make sure I am really done.. I've made the mistake of thinking I was done and I wasn't.

Thanks for your input. Very helpful!

Another practical question....

How exactly do you wash your equipment between uses? Fill a bucket/sink with soapy water, hang to dry? Wash with what? Just the catheter, or other parts?

My Dad also uses a foley catheter every night and we wash out his foley bag in the tub every day, so I am also trying to figure out how to keep the bowel stuff separate from the bladder to prevent cross-contamination in his tiny bathroom.

I reuse the catheter.. which you're not supposed to!
    but I inflate the balloon a little and wash in hot water, with the tube that leads to the catheter... everything else I just blow all the water out then put everything back in the bag for next time... been doing this for a couple of years with no real issue. just what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    I reuse the catheter.. which you're not supposed to!
    but I inflate the balloon a little and wash in hot water, with the tube that leads to the catheter... everything else I just blow all the water out then put everything back in the bag for next time... been doing this for a couple of years with no real issue. just what I do.

Yeah, that's what I was curious about.... washing to reuse the catheter. Do you use soap or just hot water? Do you keep a little tub in the bathroom to wash it in or wash it in the sink fancy free? How do you wash the tubing -- do you inject soapy water through it? My Dad appreciates specifics (!).

How do you blow the water out? Using a syringe? I realize now looking at my Dad's set up that it still has a little dead water in the tubing after 3 weeks....

Thanks NW-Will. Much appreciated.

I just use the bathroom sink!
    I use really hot water, no soap because I don't want to be putting any soap residue inside me, I have enough issues without finding soap inside me causes another issue.
    I disconnect the catheter tubing from the pump unit and just blow through it with my mouth to clear any water out of it.
    Disconnect the bag, then I blow back through the hole on the pump unit to blow the water out the tubing that connects the bag to the pump unit.
    I guess you could use a big syringe!

The bags do eventually fail. I'm still using my original pump unit and tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was curious about.... washing to reuse the catheter. Do you use soap or just hot water? Do you keep a little tub in the bathroom to wash it in or wash it in the sink fancy free? How do you wash the tubing -- do you inject soapy water through it? My Dad appreciates specifics (!).

How do you blow the water out? Using a syringe? I realize now looking at my Dad's set up that it still has a little dead water in the tubing after 3 weeks....

Thanks NW-Will. Much appreciated.