Thread: Ramp Van Rental Warning_Phoenix Area

Ramp Van Rental Warning_Phoenix Area

I'm putting this out as a warning to anyone that may be traveling to the Phoenix area with plans to rent a ramp van.

DO NOT rent from Wheelers in Phoenix. They dropped off the most broke ass van to drive down to Tucson from Sky Harbor I've ever driven. This craptastic rental turned out to be a 2005 Chevrolet Uplander with 170,000 miles on it and was beat to hell. The passenger window kept falling down a crack, the backend sounded like something was going to fall off with the smallest of bumps and the suspension was non-existent. The second day we had it we were unable to start it at all and the hassles from that experience with a power chair you can only imagine.

I seriously do not understand how they can, in good conscience, rent this van out to wheelchair users looking to rent a ramp van.

Sorry to hear of this unfortunate experience.

What other options do you have for renting a wheelchair accessible van out of Phoenix Sky Harbor? If you flew into Tuscon International, would you have better luck? I understand you may not have great connections from where you live to Tucson.

Broken down equipment could also cause a life threatening situation in the hot desert. I guess the best thing to do is to clarify what year, and mileage on the vehicle before renting.

The company we used to rent from was sold so we went with this other company. I have another company to use next time but having this problem did get us thinking of other options. So that is good.

The non-stop flights from Minneapolis to Tucson are on Delta and they currently fly MD90's for that route. The size of the cargo door of the MD90 would prohibit her powerchair going in on its wheels so we fly in/out of Phoenix with our daughter on our hometown carrier, Sun Country. (Sun Country gates are at the small Terminal 2 at Sky Harbor which is nice too.) Coincidentally, yesterday Sun Country announced they will start non-stop service to Tucson this fall. They fly 737's so this is good news! Problem solved!