Thread: GlideWear underwear?

GlideWear underwear?

I saw a picture of this shear protecting underwear in New Mobility Magazine today:
    http://glidewear.com/shop/bedsore-pr...n-undershorts/

Have any of the CareCure gentlemen used these shorts?

If so, were they effective in reducing shear and did you think they were worth $55/pair?

While some skin injuries in people with SCI are caused by shear, the vast majority are related to prolonged unrelieved pressure. Most of these occur in bed, on the sacrum, from keeping the head of the bed up over 30 degrees. Some occur due to dragging yourself during transfers. Shear prevention devices or dressings will do nothing to help prevent pressure caused skin injuries (the new term for pressure ulcers). For one thing, most of my clients don't wear anything in bed; and use of something like this in bed would add additional donning and doffing chores to your daily dressing activities.

I have seen these garments before, and am skeptical.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    While some skin injuries in people with SCI are caused by shear, the vast majority are related to prolonged unrelieved pressure. Most of these occur in bed, on the sacrum, from keeping the head of the bed up over 30 degrees. Some occur due to dragging yourself during transfers. Shear prevention devices or dressings will do nothing to help prevent pressure caused skin injuries (the new term for pressure ulcers). For one thing, most of my clients don't wear anything in bed; and use of something like this in bed would add additional donning and doffing chores to your daily dressing activities.

I have seen these garments before, and am skeptical.

(KLD)
    I think these can be used as actual underwear when up all day in the wheelchair.
    There's potential for shear during the day from his multiple chair to van seat transfers.
    He goes "Commando" at night.
    They seem to be like unpadded bike shorts but with a wider waist band, narrower leg openings to account for atrophy and maybe a dual fabric layer in back.
    Probably not returnable.

Look at this http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/women...on-shorts.html
    The black ones are new and have a flatter seam. Get the one with out padding.

I don't think they are worth 55 bucks. I wear bike shorts when I am out and about because if my pants slip during a transfer the whole world doesn't see either my ass or my underwear. A pair of normal bike shorts are about 15 bucks.

Your advice is most appreciated. I'll stop by a sporting goods store this weekend.