Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ICON aisle chair : What do folks think ?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

ICON aisle chair : What do folks think ?

This is kind of lost on me.. what do other folks think?
    I can't imagine lugging this around with the rest of my crap.... unless of course it doubled as a luggage carrier!

video link on instagram !! https://www.instagram.com/p/BTdDq-nAWXb/

Hoping the images load from facebook - reason 9843 to hate facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    This is kind of lost on me.. what do other folks think?
    I can't imagine lugging this around with the rest of my crap.... unless of course it doubled as a luggage carrier!
    The curse of the afflicted, having to carry all that extra AND the costs for health rated equipment lol /

I haven't travelled by plane so have no experience with this particular need.
    The aisle chair doubling as a luggage carrier; that is innovative thinking Will.
    Perhaps you should pass that suggestion on to ICON for their consideration and possible further development?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 05-09-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Seems kinda low. If I were a frequent flyer I'd look into it. Might be a small market, I could see it one being part of the plane's kit but not so much an individual. Maybe.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

What is it for? The comments on ICONs site make it sound like it is to go pee? Even I figured that one out. Airlines have blankets.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    What is it for? The comments on ICONs site make it sound like it is to go pee? Even I figured that one out. Airlines have blankets.
    Spoken from a completely male perspective. The blanket trick doesn't work for women.

It is interesting, but I would be interested in having it on the plane and not have it have to be hauled around by the person with the disability. Also, it looks like it would only really work for someone who is short and doesn't weigh much. Also, of course only for someone who can transfer independently. Airline personnel will not lift you onto the aisle chair (of any type) in the air.

(KLD)

We've travelled a lot with my son. I used to carry him to the toilet when he was smaller, but I can't do that any more! Tried the blanket thing once, but that wasn't a great experience. Used indwelling catheters most recently but they haven't always worked successfully for him for various reasons. So I see the benefits of this chair.

The other benefit that I see is not having to wait for an aisle chair at the end of the flight. You would not believe how often we are left sitting on the plane after everyone else has disembarked because they've forgotten to organise the aisle chair at the arriving airport, even after being reminded before and during the flight. And then the aisle chair "operator" not having a clue how to use the aisle chair.... (And before someone says that all airlines are required to carry an aisle chair onboard, as I have read before on this forum, that's definitely not the case!).

So we are seriously considering one....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

The prototype is low - production will be 16" from ground.

Of course not everyone will be able to use it, but the biggest advantage is that it fits completely into the lavatory, so the transfer to the toilet is WAY easier.

Christian is 6'5" and uses it too, so not just us shorties. This is a Instagram photo of him, at 6'5", completely inside the bathroom: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTerKYrB...by=iconexplore

Also, the "blanket trick" is gross.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    ...Also, the "blanket trick" is gross....
    I did not try before sunset. But these Travel Johns turn pee into a spill proof odorless gel. http://www.traveljohn.com/project/healthcare/ Supposedly there is a female version, but I know nothing about that.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

You have to stand to use the female Travel Johns, and of course, you have to be able to voluntarily pee.

(KLD)

I've just realised that this chair could also be used to access home toilets that haven't got a wide enough door. We've got 2 narrow toilet doors in our house - my son just fits through them now, but if his chair gets any wider he won't. I have plans to change the main bathroom around to accomodate the expected width increase, but that's several thousand dollars to make the changes. If he's happy to change chairs and continue with our existing door set-up, then I've just saved lots! (Until the wife wants the bathroom changed anyway...!).

Accessing toilets in other people's houses would be easier with this chair. A lot of toilets here are in very small rooms (separate from the bathroom), making it impossible to shut the door while sitting on the dunny as the wheelchair is in the way. But you could just fold up this aisle chair and shut the door easily.

And could it double up as a temporary shower chair too? It looks like it could....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.