Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nuprodx Multichair 4020 questions

Thanks for your good input EmilyL . Nice to know of others using the Multichair with Handimove Body Support in Europe (if I can still say that after Brexit).

I don’t think the adviser has any experience with either. I had a long talk with him yesterday, and although we don’t agree on this point, in many ways it is good because he is going to recommend a very expensive electric shower chair. That will mean that we can use the budget for a MultiChair configured as a 4020/4020Rx/4000/3000 depending on our needs.

It is our plan to configure it as a 4020 or 4020Rx with big wheels at home and configure it as a 4000 with casters or 3000 stationary with crutch tips when traveling. I’m his primary caregiver, and don’t mind the extra assistance and just want to make sure it is always safe and that the toilet/shower/bath are doable when we travel. I don’t care what I need to do for that, but anything beats having to always search for roll-in shower facilities like we currently do, which also costs a lot because we end up needing to book expensive rooms – that should be illegal in Europe, but it’s not, even under the UN CPRD.

We probably will mount the big wheels on the front to make it a 4020Rx, unless the wheels get in the way of the TiLite ZRA caster wings making it difficult to transfer. We think it will also make it easier around our large toilet tank that has a pipe that is in a bad location along the floor. It’s good to hear that it is also easier to self-propel in that configuration. I’ve considered getting the 22”or 24” wheels, but I am also concerned that they will be harder on manual transfers.

I’m hoping my husband can self-propel enough to go a few meters – he does amazingly well in the TiLite ZRA, where as I just go in circles when I do it. We will only find that out once we get it and experiment, and that is also why I am getting some of the extra options.

We plan to get the back post adapters to add 1.5” to increase the overall seat depth form 17” to 18.5” to make it closer to the wheelchair at 18” +1” so that hopefully he can foot propel easier. It is much less expensive than a larger 20" depth frame, which would make the overall chair length much longer more difficult for travel. Probably we will not use the back post adapters if using the large wheels up front or the caster wheels while traveling because it changes the center of mass and might be too tippy.

Along with the 2 extra casters, we also plan to get 2 Offest legs to give 1-1/2" more room between the legs, because we think it will be needed for the wider European toilet bowls – funny they are so much wider, when overall the butts here are narrower . There are 2 included with the 4020 for the 20” wheels, but we want the extras for when using the caster wheels.

It’s good to hear about the robustness for daily at home use. I’m hoping we might also use this chair for my husband to get in the water at the nearby lake using the boat ramp so he can swim. I hear you about heaps of junk shower chairs -- we have had a few “tanks”. I don’t think it’s at all ridiculous to bring your own shower chair to the pool -- probably everyone will be asking to borrow it!

I’ve update our webpage to include the Options to configure as a Multichair 4020 / 4020Rx / 4000 / 3000. If you happen to see anything we are missing to be able to convert between different configurations, I would appreciate if you can let me know.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I have a Nuprodx chair (300Tx). It's a great chair, well built. I did work with the company to customize it a bit, which I felt was a great feature. You can basically pick and choose some additional parts to accommodate your situation (which it appears you are taking into account). I would say that it's suitable for travel, but it's a bit heavy. Good luck with your choice - it looks like you've done your homework so you should be in a good position to make an educated purchase.

I have had more than one of the Nuprodx chairs. They are very sturdy. My original one came with the self propel wheels. I found it troublesome to travel with the large wheels. I had a local machinist adapt a oval leg extension with the tente casters which slips over the oval half-legs that the large wheels would normally attach to. This way I could use the self propel at home and the more compact set up when traveling. You could also have them include a set of rear legs with casters for easier travel.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Thanks for your good input EmilyL . Nice to know of others using the Multichair with Handimove Body Support in Europe (if I can still say that after Brexit).

I don?t think the adviser has any experience with either. I had a long talk with him yesterday, and although we don?t agree on this point, in many ways it is good because he is going to recommend a very expensive electric shower chair. That will mean that we can use the budget for a MultiChair configured as a 4020/4020Rx/4000/3000 depending on our needs.

It is our plan to configure it as a 4020 or 4020Rx with big wheels at home and configure it as a 4000 with casters or 3000 stationary with crutch tips when traveling. I?m his primary caregiver, and don?t mind the extra assistance and just want to make sure it is always safe and that the toilet/shower/bath are doable when we travel. I don?t care what I need to do for that, but anything beats having to always search for roll-in shower facilities like we currently do, which also costs a lot because we end up needing to book expensive rooms ? that should be illegal in Europe, but it?s not, even under the UN CPRD.

We probably will mount the big wheels on the front to make it a 4020Rx, unless the wheels get in the way of the TiLite ZRA caster wings making it difficult to transfer. We think it will also make it easier around our large toilet tank that has a pipe that is in a bad location along the floor. It?s good to hear that it is also easier to self-propel in that configuration. I?ve considered getting the 22?or 24? wheels, but I am also concerned that they will be harder on manual transfers.

I?m hoping my husband can self-propel enough to go a few meters ? he does amazingly well in the TiLite ZRA, where as I just go in circles when I do it. We will only find that out once we get it and experiment, and that is also why I am getting some of the extra options.

We plan to get the back post adapters to add 1.5? to increase the overall seat depth form 17? to 18.5? to make it closer to the wheelchair at 18? +1? so that hopefully he can foot propel easier. It is much less expensive than a larger 20" depth frame, which would make the overall chair length much longer more difficult for travel. Probably we will not use the back post adapters if using the large wheels up front or the caster wheels while traveling because it changes the center of mass and might be too tippy.

Along with the 2 extra casters, we also plan to get 2 Offest legs to give 1-1/2" more room between the legs, because we think it will be needed for the wider European toilet bowls ? funny they are so much wider, when overall the butts here are narrower . There are 2 included with the 4020 for the 20? wheels, but we want the extras for when using the caster wheels.

It?s good to hear about the robustness for daily at home use. I?m hoping we might also use this chair for my husband to get in the water at the nearby lake using the boat ramp so he can swim. I hear you about heaps of junk shower chairs -- we have had a few ?tanks?. I don?t think it?s at all ridiculous to bring your own shower chair to the pool -- probably everyone will be asking to borrow it!

I?ve update our webpage to include the Options to configure as a Multichair 4020 / 4020Rx / 4000 / 3000. If you happen to see anything we are missing to be able to convert between different configurations, I would appreciate if you can let me know.
    My main comment would be to double check the width of the baths you usually use. It turned out, for me, that all of the standard european baths I used were too narrow for the legs. If I have four of the offset legs, take the pins out and then swivel them so they become inset it'll be fine, so I ordered extra bits. It seems it's relatively easy to put the pins back in at a future time, but it needs tools and I use multiple paid assistants and am frequently in a rush when travelling, so I've oped to have separate spare legs for different things. I ordered the case for the whole set, but it's 'just' a regular suitacase that it fits in. Without the self propel wheels there's tonnes of space. I think that'll work well as I can travel with one huge suitcase containing both toilet/shower/bath chair and also some clothes, rather than multiple bags.

I think that'll work well as I can travel with one huge suitcase containing both toilet/shower/bath chair and also some clothes, rather than multiple bags.
    Be careful. If you put regular clothes in the same bag with your shower chair/commode or medical supplies, it is no longer considered medical supplies/equipment that is exempt from excess baggage charges.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Be careful. If you put regular clothes in the same bag with your shower chair/commode or medical supplies, it is no longer considered medical supplies/equipment that is exempt from excess baggage charges.

(KLD)
    Interesting thought - will perhaps reconsider for international travel. Most of the trips I take are on the train, though, where this doesn't matter but the number of bags that my assistant is hauling about really does.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    I've always put clothes with my shower chair and med equipment. Never had a problem. Just last week I asked JetBlue about their policy because they have no free bags. I asked If I checked one 28" with my chair and clothes would I be charged at all, I was told that I wouldn't be charged. Best to always call and get a name and confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyy View Post
    ...My original one came with the self propel wheels. I found it troublesome to travel with the large wheels....You could also have them include a set of rear legs with casters for easier travel.
    We have already anticipated on including the extra parts to configure it multiple ways. Here is the list if anyone is interested.

Options to configure as a Multichair 4020 / 4020Rx / 4000 / 3000

Item # DescriptionQuantity
    mc4020MultiCHAIR 4020. See description above.1
    BDROP RAIL and FRAME - ORIENTATION RIGHT
    allows 4? of clear front or side access without the cushion or frame getting in the way.
    Notes: To be used for right side access due to left side hemiparesis.
    C2TRANSFER CUSHION KIT - 8? WIDE
    swing-away style, use with A3 side arms, can be used on left or right side of chair.
    Notes: To be used when a bathtub is the only option for many family visits, some respite care and during many vacations.
    C3SHOWER LEGS (2)
    used with C2 transfer cushion kits, add these legs to the transfer cushion kit for use in a shower.
    Notes: To be used when traveling with a non-rollin shower is the only option for many family visits, some respite care and during many vacations.
    D2CARRYING CASE
    20? x 20? x 8? black nylon, heavy duty zippers, (2) handles, removable shoulder strap, plastic caddy, panel, foam, strap (for the mc4000).
    Notes: To be used when traveling with the small caster wheels.. Will fit with the drop rail and frame, heel straps and transfer cushion and shower legs.
    E1COMMODE PAN ? Only u-channel rails and mounting hardware
    Includes 12" x 14" x 6" pan, aluminum u-channel rails, stainless mounting hardware.
    Notes: Will work with the drop rail and frame (RIGHT). The rails will be mounted on the front and back rail to slide out the right side. Because this will only be used if there are temporary health problems, we do not want the E2 COMMODE PAN LOWERING BRACKETS to provide access between frame and pan. To avoid excess international shipping costs for the pan, we will only purchase the u-channel rails and stainless mounting hardware and Nuprodx will proved the make/model information of the pan to purchase locally or if needed while traveling.
    F45" CASTERS (2)
    casters with total-lock brakes attached to (2) inner legs, add this option on a multichair 4000 with wheels F1, F2 or F5
    Notes: To be used for family visits, respite care and during vacations in attendant propelled mode.
    H3"2? THICK SQUARE SHAPED CUSHION (Standard) Racetrack A.2 (6 inch wide with 4 inch slot). *FLAT, NOT ROUNDED*
    17? x 17? x 2? Self-skinning hand-crafted naugahyde padded seat cushion.
    Notes: It needs to be flat and not rounded to avoid falling through the recess.
    ?STANDARD T-BACK CUSHION 8" HIGH (NEW)
    Seamless padded self-skinning urethane cushion.
    Notes: Provides good trunk support and allows for raised armrests.
    J2CALF STRAP (1)
    2" side hook and loop closure.
    Notes: Needed for spasms. Can be removed for transfers.
    J3HEEL STRAPS (2)
    2? wide black nylon, mounting hardware.
    Notes: Needed for spasms. Can be removed for transfers.
    K1INNER LEG (1) complete 1-1/8" diameter leg with black caplug, brass adjuster button and crutch tip.
    Notes: To be used when traveling when a bathtub or a non roll-in shower is the only option.
    K2OFFSET LEG (1) *NON-PINNED*
    Ten hole outer leg with aluminum offset which provides 1-1/2" more room between legs
    Notes: This is needed for wider European toilet bowls. There are 2 included with the 4020 for the 20? wheels. Need an extra set when using the caster wheels.
    P-28BACK POST ADAPTERS (2)
    Pair of Seat Depth Adapters (2-Hole), increases "effective" seat depth by 1.5".
    Notes: This will increase the overall seat depth form 17? to 18.5? to make it closer to the wheelchair at 18? +1?. It is much less expensive than a larger 20" depth frame, which would make the overall chair length much longer. Probably we will not use them using the large wheels up front or the caster wheels while traveling because it changes the center of mass and might be too tippy.

Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Have you taken delivery yet elarson? Is it all you hoped it would be? Your post has me ready to pull the trigger on one of these. Thxs
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete