Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuprodx Multichair 4020 questions

Nuprodx Multichair 4020 questions

We are looking for a new shower/toilet chair, and as usual, have a lot of questions. I have been thinking about going with a Nuprodx Multichair 4020 with 20" wheels, along with some extra options, and hope others can give some input.

We get funding for the chair via insurance and have recently had a rehab tech advisor involved. Overall he seems pretty knowledgeable, but I don't think he understands our requirements well, and has zero experience with the Nuprodx Multichair, which in my experience means that if not recommended by him, it's not a good idea.

Surprisingly, he recommended an expensive electric shower/toilet chair -- Lopital Reflex. His reasoning for this is because we are also planning on getting a HandiMove (SureHands) Body Support system with a ceiling lift and he said that having a tilt function will make it easier for transfers using it. We have had a demo version of the Reflex to test a few days. Overall, it's a good chair, if you really need raising and tilting functionality, but it's big, heavy, has a large footprint, is not easily transportable and has some other limitations like enclosure on the armrests that make manual transfers difficult.

We don't see where he really needs raising and tilting functionality and we think it is overkill, and adds a lot of complexity for maintenance and service. I would think that transfers with the HandiMove (SureHands) Body Support system would be better done in a normal sitting position at about 90 degree rather than at an incline, but I don't really know and it will be hard to test in advance. Can anyone give any feedback about whether having a tilt function would be useful with the Body Support system? If the tilt function would be useful, can anyone comment on the durability and use of the Nuprodx Tilt-in-Space system on the 4000Tilt?

One of the big reasons I like the Nuprodx Multichair is because of versatility. We want a chair that can be used on a daily basis at home, and also when we visit family or my husband goes somewhere for respite care, which will require that we can bring it on a plane, train or in a normal car. We will also be using it for manual transfers when we are traveling and need robust enough armrests that he can use as support while transferring -- he weighs less than 60 kg / 132 lbs.

I am also hoping that with the large wheels on the 4020 he will be much more independent at home in the bathroom. He has heavy hemiparesis but can self-propel with one hand and one foot in his 16" x 18" TiLite ZRA and we can configure the Multichair to almost the same configuration. Almost all other chairs seem to be 18" wide and he needs about 16" to be able to support his trunk on the armrests while in the chair while he is showering -- hands-free. He also likes to start his day with breakfast before he showers, and I am hoping he could use the chair during that time so that he does not need to do an extra transfer. It would only be about an hour and does not need to go much distance.

The adviser seems to think that the Nuprodx Multichair will not be robust enough and that it would only work as a travel chair and not a daily use chair. He also does not think the armrest will be strong enough to support his trunk or manual transfers. Is there anyone here who can comment on how stable it is, if the armrest are strong enough for trunk support and to support transfers, whether they use it is a daily shower/toilet chair and can also move it around a little in the bathroom and about an hour while having breakfast?

As far as versatility goes, I want to configure the chair so that when at home he will use the 20" wheels. When we travel I would like to use 4 caster wheels and when needed if a bathtub is the only option, use stationary feet on it, possibly with the optional transfer board. I think this will be possible to configure it in all of these ways, but it would be good to hear if anyone else does something similar and can say how well it works in different configurations? My guess is that if he needed the Multichair Tilt-in-Space system some of the configurations might be limited, so any feedback on that would be helpful too.

It?s hard to see on the Nuprodx website much about the seating. We really like the seating on the Lopital Reflex and are hoping to get something similar. It is made of PUR (polyurethane) foam components with In Mould Coating (IMC), which I am not familiar with. We like that both the Reflex and the Multichair are flat with a waterfall-style recess, because he falls through the recess on his current chair because it is too rounded. On the Reflex it looks like it will hold up well, but is still comfortable, except the keyhole is too big at 8". We like on the Multichair that he can have a side opening for good access on his usable side and want to get the racetrack style recess, which is a more narrow at 6" than a conventional 8" keyhole style -- no bowel program necessary. Does anyone have experience with Nuprodx seating options who might comment on any of these points?
    Last edited by elarson; 05-07-2017 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Fixing character conversions that never work well when copy/pasting
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I am looking for shower wheelchair recommendations as well. This seems like a solid chair
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

We have had 3 different chairs and I have not been happy with any of them. Most of them are steel tanks or flimsy plastic. This is one of the few that are made from aircraft-grade aluminum, and it appears to have been tested well. I just wish I could get my hands on one to try it out, but we are in Europe and they don't have distributors here.

Added: I think they have a return policy to try it out, but I think there is a restocking charge. I would be curious of your input if you try it.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Sent you a PM with contact info for the person I know at Nuprodx.

We transferred my mother with a SureHands frame to a regular upright shower/commode chair (and toilet) with no problems, so I am not sure why this person thinks you need a tilt chair like the Reflex. The power elevation feature does make it easier for caregivers to do both showers and bowel care if the person is dependent, and it is very similar to the Ocean E-VIP that we had for our clients in the hospital who could not tolerate sitting upright for showers or bowel care due to blood pressure issues, but like you say, it has a large footprint, and also is not very practical for travel.

Both the NuProx 4020 and 4024 are good chairs, and do pack down for travel pretty compactly. Is he able to independently propel with the large wheels? If not, you can save a lot of weight and pack up even smaller with a small wheeled version like the NuProdx 4000TX. Nuprodx makes several different seat options. I would encourage you to talk to someone at the company about the exact configuration that meets his needs best before ordering. We issued a lot of NuProdx chairs of various types for our clients when I was working, and I owned a MultiChair 6000 that I used when my mother came to visit me (at home she had a roll-in shower) since I had a tub in the guest room.

(KLD)

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    You folks might like to take a look at the GO-Anywhere portable commode/shower chairs from GO! Mobility Solutions. Our website is http://www.GoesAnywhere.com. I am one of the owners, the inventor and an everyday user of our products both for at home and on-the-road. We've been in business for 12 years and have shipped to 33 countries. I'd be happy to speak with you with respect to any questions you may have.

rick
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Hello goldnucs. I have already been in contact with you. I am mostly looking for user input at this time, but thanks.

I have pretty much discounted the idea of needing Tilt-in-Space. Even the Lopital sales rep who we are also considering for the ceiling lift and rail system could not think of why it would be needed. Thanks for your input on that KLD.

I had a good telephone call with Nuprodx and think I have a configuration for a good chair that will be a combination 4020/4000/3000. I am waiting for confirmation of the specs that I have sent for review, but if anyone want's to know details, please let me know.

This is my take so far, and what I wrote to them:
    It's so good to talk with people who understand what the struggles are with shower chairs, both for at home and when traveling. I applaud you for the design, engineering and common sense that have gone into this chair -- and I have not even seen one yet!
    BTW, I have a web page that I have messily documented our search for shower-toilet chairs if you are curious.
    Last edited by elarson; 05-10-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Your shower chair research link is a great resource and ought to be preserved as a sticky on the Equipment forum.

I recently imported (to the UK) a Nuprodx chair and I absolutely adore the thing, although if I had my time again I'd pick slightly different options. I also have a Handimove Body Support (sure hands on the other side of the 'pond'). My experience is that you absolutely don't need tilt in space to use the Sure hands. TIS is REALLY helpful for if you're using a fabric sling, so perhaps that's what the guy was on about and he wasn't really familiar with the Body Support? The self propel wheels almost double the packed down size of the thing, so personally I find myself using more assistance than I would at home, and just taking the four caster wheels. Also, the 20 inch wheels are good in that they're below the transfer surface, but they're also quite far away. I have them mounted on the front (recommended, personally) and this makes it a little easier, but only a little. Fundamentally, I'm not much good at moving myself. I used to be a manual wheelchair user, and I like shifting myself a few inches back and forward in the shower to reach the soap or whatever, but I can't self propel much further than that... so generally if I'm not at home I conclude the large wheels aren't worth the (huge!) extra bulk. I've found the whole thing very robust and more so than previous shower chairs I've had which aren't dismantleable. I have the pediatric back with adult seat, and then the lateral supports, so I can't answer to how much weight the armrests can take as I have that support from the laterals. Genuinely, the thing is most excellent. I think it'll serve me for a long time to come. The castors are a thing of wonder and beauty - I swim in a disability swimming team and so I use the shower chair at the pool several times a week, and I've seriously considered taking my Nuprodx in the car with me to the pool because it is SO much better than the pool one. That seems ridiculous, so I haven't done it, but every time I use that heap of junk I curse it...