Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freewheel Attachment vs Castors on smooth surface?

Question Freewheel Attachment vs Castors on smooth surface?

Hi, I've never used a freewheel attachment but I know it's designed for rolling over rough terrain/grass. But I was wondering, how does it perform on say smooth tarmac compared to say 4" soft roll casters? Is freewheeling downhill faster with or without the freewheel attachment fitted?
    Racing wheelchairs I've seen on the telly use a third wheel upfront instead of castors.
    "I feel the need, the need for speed!" (not really I'm just joking )

It's great on smooth surfaces! It's a much less bumpy ride and no worries about cracks. Downhill is awesome and, yes, fast. ��

Blog Entries
    Very much faster downhill. Well, probably not technically faster, rather much safer at high velocity. I use one often, even on mostly flat terrain, when I'm gonna be pushing a lot, like at a theme park or strolling on the board walk, etc. super handy accessory.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Much less chance of an endo if the casters get caught. The lack of a high-pressure tire on the Freewheel does create significant drag however. And constant corrections to keep the chair going straight. Lately I've been just plowing through the lawn without the Freewheel, seems simpler than having to haul it around and attach, lol. But if I did more off-pavement or rough-pavement, I'd probably use it more.

I've been watching some reviews on YouTube, it's an ingenious device. This looks great fun https://youtu.be/U2u-T4Oc4_M?t=22s I just need the Freewheel attachment and an energetic dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Much less chance of an endo if the casters get caught. The lack of a high-pressure tire on the Freewheel does create significant drag however. And constant corrections to keep the chair going straight. Lately I've been just plowing through the lawn without the Freewheel, seems simpler than having to haul it around and attach, lol. But if I did more off-pavement or rough-pavement, I'd probably use it more.
    Just wanted to post this regarding Freewheel drag. The Freeweel is a fantastic accessory but there are two things I do to improve performance.

First, replace the tire with a Schwalbe 47-203 KID ( https://www.schwalbetires.com/node/2759 ). Much less weight, minimal tread, puncture guard, 65 psi. I recommend a Schwalbe tube also.

Second, adjust the pitch so that your casters are raised off the ground only about one-half inch. If you have camber, raising the front end of your chair changes the toe-in of the drive wheels, thereby increasing the roll resistance. This requires much more effort to propel the chair. The more camber you have, the more noticeable this is. I used to set my toe halfway between casters and freewheel, but then neither is optimal.

For what it's worth, as Stephen Stills would say...

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Just wanted to post this regarding Freewheel drag. The Freeweel is a fantastic accessory but there are two things I do to improve performance.

First, replace the tire with a Schwalbe 47-203 KID ( https://www.schwalbetires.com/node/2759 ). Much less weight, minimal tread, puncture guard, 65 psi. I recommend a Schwalbe tube also.

Second, adjust the pitch so that your casters are raised off the ground only about one-half inch. If you have camber, raising the front end of your chair changes the toe-in of the drive wheels, thereby increasing the roll resistance. This requires much more effort to propel the chair. The more camber you have, the more noticeable this is. I used to set my toe halfway between casters and freewheel, but then neither is optimal.

Thanks for sharing your insights, Grunt! I recently acquired a FW and was thinking of changing the tire since I use it indoors on a track. Also considering modifying an old rugby chair like I saw on the JR video (https://youtu.be/BMAwSJKwRL8) I hadn't considered camber/pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post

Turning is also easier when lower to the ground. Ideally you want the arm (the part that has the Freewheel logo written on it) at zero degrees (parallel to the ground). The higher you raise the Freewheel, the greater this angle becomes and the more difficult it is to turn. I was thinking about removing the front casters in order to lower the Freewheel even further. That would make that wheelchair dedicated to the freewheel only. Never got around to it as the trade off is questionable.

Blog Entries
    This is a helpful thread. I made some adjustments to my setup and it is indeed nicer to push.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

helpful thread.