Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Myocycle

Myocycle

Has any one used one of these cycles.They go for around 8,000 dollars but say lifespan is about 5 years which has me worried

cwa67, I'm the co-founder and CTO of MYOLYN, the company that makes the MyoCycle.

We just received FDA clearance and started selling the MyoCycle, so the only people that have used it so far are those that participated in our research prior to FDA clearance. That includes about 40 people from Push to Walk NJ, Brooks Rehab in Jacksonville, and the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis. They helped us design it, and I believe they liked it a lot. I hope that one or more of those people are on here and give you their opinions.

Regarding your comment about the lifespan. The expected service life is 5 years, not the lifespan. Expected service life is a term from IEC 60601-1 that defines how long the device is guaranteed to be in compliance with the requirements of the standard. Intertek has some good information about expected service life. We expect the MyoCycle to work well for much longer than 5 years, depending on how it's handled. Just like anything else, if you take care of it, it'll last.

It looks like a USA version of the German-made MOTO-Med. MOTO-Med FES bikes sometimes come up for sale on eBay.

They followed me on Twitter yesterday. Must want business.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Someone from the company is a member of the forum, search for Alan Hamlet. He usually replies to FES bike threads. I'm not sure where they are with production or sales yet, not available in Europe yet but a lot cheaper than RT in US.

I replied yesterday but mods haven't approved my post yet. For those that don't know, I'm the co-founder and CTO of MYOLYN, the company that makes the MyoCycle.

To address cwa67's comments. We just got FDA clearance for the MyoCycle, so we're just now allowed to start selling it. The only people that have used it so far are those that participated in our research prior to FDA clearance. We had about 40 people with paralysis use it at Push to Walk NJ, Brooks Rehab in Jacksonville, and the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis. They helped us design it, and I believe that most liked it as much or better than the RT300. I hope that some of them are on here and can give you their own opinions about it.

Regarding the lifespan. It's not the lifespan that's 5 years, it's the expected service life, which is a term defined in IEC 60601-1. Basically, expected service life is the period for which we can guarantee that the MyoCycle meets the requirements of the 60601 standard. Lifespan is another matter that depends on how it's handled. We designed the MyoCycle with a solid steel frame and easily serviceable components, so with some occasional maintenance, it should easily last 10+ years, especially at home.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about it.

MomNoah, I replied to you a while ago with some links, but mods never approved my post. The research on passive cycling alone has just about proven that it doesn't do much (at low speeds). It can have a minor effect on blood circulation and spasticity, and passive cycling at high speeds (> 80 rpm) has a demonstrated effect in Parkinson's patients. Beyond that, it's not particularly useful. Passive gait training is a little more beneficial because of the added loading from body weight support. Adding FES significantly improves results because you have active muscle contractions.

That being said, if someone has volitional function (i.e., they can cycle or walk on their own to some extent), assisted cycling or gait training can be very beneficial. It always depends on the person. I'd link you some studies, but the mod of this forum doesn't seem to be actively approving posts with links. Could be me though.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: This post was moved here from another thread.
    Last edited by Matt Bellman; 05-07-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwrides View Post
    how much do these bikes cost? I didn't see it on the websites
    We just got FDA clearance for the MyoCycle, and it's a lot more affordable than the alternatives. Check out MYOLYN for more info. QuadmanJr's response is accurate for the RT300s. MotoMed with FES is in the same range.

EDIT: This post was moved here from another thread.
    Last edited by Matt Bellman; 05-07-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Hi Matt. Great to have MyoCycle as an alternative to RTI and I like the approach you've taken with it. I know you have plans for a 12-channel unit aimed at rehab facilities, but that's the unit that would interest me. I have an old RT300 right now and six channels (IMHO) is insufficient. When will your 12-channel unit be available and what's the intended price-point?
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Hey Mize, it's too early to say. The timing of new products and upgrades will depend on how well the MyoCycle does as it is now.