Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suprapubic catheter

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A smaller catheter is less irritating to the bladder, but for some, a smaller size does not drain sufficiently.

By the way, both indwelling urethral catheters and indwelling suprapubic catheters are "indwelling" and Foley is only one type of catheter that can be used for either. There are others, such as the Duette, mushroom catheters, Malecotts, etc.

For both men and women, a significant advantage of the use of SP vs. urethral indwelling catheters is avoiding the damage to the urethra that commonly happens with long term indwelling urethral catheters. This can include strictures and urethral diverticuli. In women, a patulous (stretched out) urethra can occur, esp. after menopause. For men especially, a SP makes genital sexual activity much easier, as well. The rate of UTI, stones, and other indwelling catheter complications is roughly the same between SP and urethral indwelling catheters.

(KLD)
    Care to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by SLIQNES View Post
    Care to explain?
    Having penile intercourse with an indwelling urethral catheter is difficult if not impossible. With a SP you have nothing in the way. For women, there is not a problem with urethral catheters, since the catheter is not in the vagina. Is that not self-evident?

(KLD)

Having penile intercourse with an indwelling urethral catheter is difficult if not impossible. With a SP you have nothing in the way. For women, there is not a problem with urethral catheters, since the catheter is not in the vagina. Is that not self-evident?

(KLD)
    Perhaps someone is in need of "the talk" and a quick anatomy and physiology lesson?

(KLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    Perhaps someone is in need of "the talk" and a quick anatomy and physiology lesson?
    Hey! Questions are questions. No need to be pejorative.
    Last edited by gjnl; 05-08-2017 at 10:22 PM.

I was being facetious, not pejorative...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I was being facetious, not pejorative...
    When you are the one with the question, it is hard to make the distinction between treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor or expressing contempt or disapproval.

So I go in on Wednesday for the surgery just curious how long the recovery usually is? I'm being released that night they said. Wil I be able to shower and do my regular bowel routine the day or days after the surgery? Any other tips for after would be great thanks!

Hey Ty, good luck with the surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty12 View Post
    So I go in on Wednesday for the surgery just curious how long the recovery usually is? I'm being released that night they said. Wil I be able to shower and do my regular bowel routine the day or days after the surgery? Any other tips for after would be great thanks!
    You should be able to shower a few days after the placement of the supra pubic, as long as you don't flood the supra pubic area, likely you will have a dressing that should stay dry and in place for about 5 days. You should be able to do your regular bowel program after the placement of the supra pubic catheter. That said, do a bowel program the night before the supra pubic placement so that you don't have to do a bowel program the night after the placement. I refrain from calling the placement of a supra pubic catheter a surgery. You will have very little anesthesia, just a few minutes, at best.

The dressing that your urologist will put on the area will need to stay dry and in place for about 5 days. The catheter site may drain, ooze, lymph for a few days after the dressing is removed. Follow the guidelines your urologist gives you for aftercare. In 4-6 weeks you will visit your urologist in his/her office for a catheter change. At that time the stoma should be healed and have an easy passage into your bladder. At that first appointment to change the catheter, your doctor or a nurse should teach you and/or your caregivers how to change the catheter.

As I have advised before, speak with your urologist and understand what size catheter will be placed and hold out for the smallest catheter, usually a 16Fr. If you need to go bigger, later for whatever reasons, you can do that with out much difficulty.

Good luck and let us know how you are progressing.
    Last edited by gjnl; 05-20-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks for the great info definitely helps ease my mind