Thread: TiLite Users Please Help

TiLite Users Please Help

TiLiteusers:
    I'vewaited my 5 years, time for a new chair. I hope I wont make the same mistakeI made 5 years ago. I asked the DME to just duplicate the chair I wasin, an old Quickie GPV. I should not have accepted what they brought.It was all wrong. I am seriously considering TiLite for a new chair.The DME I am working with now seems reputable but you know how thatgoes. He's been to my house and taken measurements. He pretty muchknows what I want but I am the one searching the Internet. He boughtno brochures. So far I've looked at Quickie, Ki Mobility and TiLite.Back to the reason I'm posting: If you are a TiLite user and happy ornot with your chair, I would greatly appreciate your review.

Quote Originally Posted by busterskid View Post
    TiLiteusers:
    I'vewaited my 5 years, time for a new chair. I hope I wont make the same mistakeI made 5 years ago. I asked the DME to just duplicate the chair I wasin, an old Quickie GPV. I should not have accepted what they brought.It was all wrong. I am seriously considering TiLite for a new chair.The DME I am working with now seems reputable but you know how thatgoes. He's been to my house and taken measurements. He pretty muchknows what I want but I am the one searching the Internet. He boughtno brochures. So far I've looked at Quickie, Ki Mobility and TiLite.Back to the reason I'm posting: If you are a TiLite user and happy ornot with your chair, I would greatly appreciate your review.
    I rock a ZRA at the moment, I'm happy enough that I plan to go with another one. Had a Quickie for my first chair and didn't like it, but that probably had more to do with crappy wheels (went with whatever the chair came with) and poor measurements (DME gave me "room to grow" cuz she thought I was going to get fat).

A chair that fits is probably way more important than than what brand it is. I've never had a GPV, but that looks like a pretty crappy chair in general a higher end Quickie is probably just as good quality as a tilite. The frame on my quickie never gave me any problems, it just wasn't a good fit.

Probably the one and only reason I'm sticking with TiLite is that I'm a titanium fanboy. I fully recognize it's benefits are marginal at best and the weight savings is negligible, but I like the idea of having a titanium chair... kinda like somebody who wants to spend $5000 on a watch when they could get a Casio for $20 and it would tell time just as well.

My first TiLiite chair was an AeroZ1, which I loved (it fit well). Over the years I tweaked/adjusted it to fit real well. I now have a TR3 that is modeled after the tweaked AeroZ, and I really, really love it !!!

IMO the biggest factor is proper fit; even small changes make a huge difference. Be sure to get a K0005 ("ultralight" in insurance language).
    IMO for rigid chairs the brand is less important than available options and manufacturer reputation.
    IMO for folding chairs TiLite is mandatory.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I concur with the two replies you've had so far. Also look at the quality and engineering of the components. Take for instant castor forks and how they attach to the frame. Does it look robust and well engineered? How easy is it to adjust the frame heights, cog, toe-in toe-out, backrest angle/height, etc, etc. Is it fiddly and not well designed? Then avoid that chair. My first rigid chair was a secondhand v-front GPV and the way the castor forks attached to the frame and adjusted for vertical was a nightmare. Also as I like 2-4 degrees of camber in a chair it was a nightmare getting the rear wheels running parallel, I had to shim the axle plates with washers to get the wheels square. Also the GPV limits you to about 3" of cog, not really enough for those who like a really tippy chair.
    I second Chasmengr in that the Aero Z is great chair for the price, simple design, easy to adjust, and well built. Probably the only chair you'll ever need.

I've had 4 Tilites and numerous Top Ends, Quickies, Shadow and others I can't think of right now. The only complaint I have with Tilte is their customer service. So much so, I am searching out other manufactures to see if I can find the quality they have and still take insurance. Boxx chairs don't.

I hated my ZRA for the fact the thicker tubing looked awkward and tough to grab when transferring. I found adding the 1 inch to the frame helped immensely for transferring. I have a TR3 now and ZRA for a backup chair.

My girl has an Aero X it is an excellent chair. I had a 2 GX that was a piece of shit (ill fitting and heavy). I've had a Quickie 2HP for 30+ years and it is great.
    Down load the order sheets for the chairs you're interested in. Fill it out as best you can, then post on here. A picture of you from the side of your present chair will help the smart guys on here, give you advice.
    Don't get caught up in gimmicks. Like a few oz's of weight savings for a high cost.

Iagree with everybody in that the most important factor is a properfit. The chair I'm using now used to fit but not now. My femurs areshorter due to fractures and I'm a bit wider too. I am constantlysquirming and trying to scoot myself back because the seat is rightat the back of my knees and my thighs rub the tires because of myweight gain.(A couple of months ago I was prescribed a medication tostimulate my appetite and it worked very well!) Well I am pleased tohear such positive feedback on TiLite. That makes my job easier, mysearch has been narrowed down to TiLite. Aero Z? I am sure they havesomething that will work perfectly for me. Now as to a proper fit. Iwatched an excellent YouTube video on how to measure a person for awheelchair. Some of the information I was already familiar with, somenot. I have already been measured but I think the DME guy and I needto go over everything again. Like the saying goes, “measure twice,cut once”. I should probably have him explain the measurements aswe go. Medicare is paying so I'll need to order aluminum. I don'tknow an Aero R, T, Z from an Aero XYZ. Question: is what you seewhat you get? I look at pictures online at the different models ofchairs. Some appear to have what looks like a J Backrest. Some haveSpinergy wheels. That is not how the chair comes is it? You pay extraout of pocket for these, correct? Some kind of sales gimmick? I needto know how to protect myself from getting something other than whatwas agreed upon and no surprises or “misunderstandings”. Well Icertainly appreciate you guys replying to my post. Any other infothat you think I might need to know would also be welcomed.

i have the aero R i think it is and love it. i have had it i think 5 or so years and have done nothing to it. needs new tires now but i'll get those soon just don't have the money for new ones yet and i am thinking of going to the tubed ones now anyway as i am not at the farm as much anymore!
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009