Thread: Could just spasms make me pee through my urethra, despite a suprapubic?

Blog Entries

Could just spasms make me pee through my urethra, despite a suprapubic?

I have a suprapubic catheter. I have had trouble with it clogging frequently, due to sediment I expect. Now I have a lot of mucus, but it seems to flush if I have someone to try it, and there is some urine in the bag,. So I?m trying to understand what might be going on.

= Can spasms be strong enough to make me pee through my urethra, even if my suprapubic is draining correctly?
    = Is mucus enough to block my suprapubic? Or is it a sign of infection making me spasm?
    = Has anyone any thoughts about using hiprex/methenamine to control the spasms?
    = I think I I tried both detrol and the other one they made my mouth too dry.
    = which one would be most effective instilled in my bladder? Is it possible just to drop a pill into the tube, or do I need to dissolve it and instill?

Blog Entries
    Well, it turns out I was mistaken. It looks like Hiprex is an anti-infective, not a bladder calmer. Does anyone take it and find it bothersome?

The only time I leak through the urethra, when the SP is draining properly is when I have a UTI.

Potentially, bladder spasms could cause normal urination if the catheter was unable empty quickly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    = Can spasms be strong enough to make me pee through my urethra, even if my suprapubic is draining correctly?
    = Is mucus enough to block my suprapubic? Or is it a sign of infection making me spasm?
    = Has anyone any thoughts about using hiprex/methenamine to control the spasms?
    = I think I I tried both detrol and the other one they made my mouth too dry.
    = which one would be most effective instilled in my bladder? Is it possible just to drop a pill into the tube, or do I need to dissolve it and instill?
    - Yes, spasms can make you void through the urethra
    - Mucus, even just sediment or a small piece of tissue or blood clot can block an SP tube (flushing it can fix that)
    - Hiprex is for UTIs, not spasms, but UTIs
    - There's a new bladder med in a totally different class that doesn't cause as many side-effects (Mybetriq) but it's expensive, always good to ask docs for samples. But there's tons of other bladder meds to try, different ones work for different people.
    - You can't just pop a pill in your bladder, doesn't work like that. Pills are designed to take by mouth...then your body converts it to the active drug through your GI tract. You'd be doing absolutely nothing by putting a pill in there (dissolved or not) aside from maybe causing yourself a UTI or blocking your tube. - You *CAN* get prescribed oxybutinin that can be instilled in the bladder but it's a special formulation that needs to be made specially by a compounding pharmacy just for that and it's not very common (mostly used in kids).
    - Could always ask your urologist about trying Botox injections in the bladder

Blog Entries
    Thanks – great ideas