Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: interesting French manual chair

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    That's a pretty hard beach. See the wind surfers in the background? They have wheels too. Is that sand on her shoes?
    Do you suppose she might have walked there?
    Yes the sand looks packed. There is evidence of other wheeled movement but none that suggests movemt by a Mouvley. Having said that the footprint and loading on a moving land yacht is another different thing to that of wheelchair wheels. I would have expected to see some evidence of movement over/through the sand given the tyre aspect and the load at point; that front wheel would dig for sure. . Anyhow it was an observation on what appears to be a posed scene.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 04-29-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Yes, the brakes show clearly now, thank you.
    What I do know about three wheelers is that the one I use is very fast. And it is stable. I don't know why, maybe because of the longer wheelbase, but in the years I've used it I've never come close to tipping. Think about three legged stools verses four legged stools, that's all I know.
    I would be interested to see an image of your three wheeler nonoise.
    Three load points are stable and 'self levelling' as opposed to four or more. Stability is another aspect that is influenced by load position and distance, both vertical and horizontal.
    Examples of less than stable but exciting three wheel transport are three wheel farm bikes, trikes, sidechair outfits, the old three wheel tractors. The first three examples I have experience on and they require a specific set of skills to stay upright with any semblance of stability and control, more especially when changing direction at speed.
    My Father in Law has spoken to me of running the old tractor on his farm back in the 40's and the hairy experiences encountered.
    I imagine that these three wheeled chair would have similar exciting traits.

The ole big castor wheels of chairs from the 80's were ideal for going over any terrain ... I could never see why Quickie, TiLite et al went for the little skateboard like wheels.

I am loving this design of chair!
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    The ole big castor wheels of chairs from the 80's were ideal for going over any terrain ... I could never see why Quickie, TiLite et al went for the little skateboard like wheels.

I am loving this design of chair!
    We are on the same page. I just replaced my 7 inch quickie 2 hard rubber casters with 8 inch pneumatics. I think a bonus is no more wobble. It's only been a week or so.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Do you suppose she might have walked there?
    Yes the sand looks packed. There is evidence of other wheeled movement but none that suggests movemt by a Mouvley. Having said that the footprint and loading on a moving land yacht is another different thing to that of wheelchair wheels. I would have expected to see some evidence of movement over/through the sand given the tyre aspect and the load at point; that front wheel would dig for sure. . Anyhow it was an observation on what appears to be a posed scene.
    Here is an early unfinished upside down picture. Here you can see the mods I made.
    I haven't used it for several months as I no longer can keep my feet elevated. As you can see there is no footrest. It belongs under the seat attached to those two tubes, but I?m thinking doing it more in line with this French chair.
    As I said this has never tipped. I have flipped backwards, but that happens in any chair. I had thought the wheelbase was an advantage, but it doesn?t appear so in this photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

As I said this has never tipped. I have flipped backwards, but that happens in any chair. I had thought the wheelbase was an advantage, but it doesn?t appear so in this photo.
    I think the reason that chairs like these are so stable is that there isn't a huge amount of weight on the front wheel. If there was, it would be come a lot more unstable.

I think I am correct in saying that 3 wheeler farm bikes (ie a quad bike, but with 3 wheels) are no longer manufactured as they were unstable when cornering. The force on the front wheel increased when cornering, and you can imagine a rider pushing on the handlebars when cornering, increasing that force.

I know that my son has never tipped his chair while his freewheel was attached. But I know he has tipped his chair when he's had his Firefly attached (which is significantly heavier than the freewheel). He also tipped just the other day, just after I'd changed the battery position on his modified Firefly (aka "The Beast"), moving the centre of gravity higher over the front wheel. Thankfully there have never been any injuries, and any tipping has been done at low speeds...!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    I think I am correct in saying that 3 wheeler farm bikes (ie a quad bike, but with 3 wheels) are no longer manufactured as they were unstable when cornering. The force on the front wheel increased when cornering, and you can imagine a rider pushing on the handlebars when cornering, increasing that force.
    You are correct on that score Gordy. More than a few have been killed or maimed on those pig three wheeler farm units.
    Good on flat terrain and at moderate speeds though, like most transport. Unlike two wheels it is more than difficult to counter steer on three ;-)

Alex's Triumph Trident was terrific to push into corners using counter steer to keep it down and following that line..great memories.

Here is an early unfinished upside down picture. Here you can see the mods I made.
    I haven't used it for several months as I no longer can keep my feet elevated. As you can see there is no footrest. It belongs under the seat attached to those two tubes, but I?m thinking doing it more in line with this French chair.
    Thanks nonoise, is that your own build from a stock unit? Nice.
    Have you considered stirrups of some sort ?
    I like your three wheeler chair, it is along the lines of what I have in mind for my TR with the extra frame brace.
    Your front wheel appears to be much further forward and, IMO more stable, than the French model. More in common with the Freewheel wheelbase?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by slow_runner; 04-30-2017 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I forgot there was an 'Icon' back product. I was not referring to that, rather the Icon wheelchair. My bad.
    I understood. I have a Varalite Icon Low back. Just wondered which model had the adjustment option.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I understood. I have a Varalite Icon Low back. Just wondered which model had the adjustment option.
    It's their standard model. Far as an know they only have the one. I added a little dowel to make turning the buckle
    easier, but it's doable without.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus