Thread: Nothing worked for pain so I tried this

Nothing worked for pain so I tried this

I've been T4 para since 1989 and like many of you, have the added curse of chronic nerve pain. My Drs tried every drug we've all heard of and used to try and find relief, but nothing worked. For years I've dealt with it using sport and hobbies to merely take my mind of it, the only real relief I ever got was for several hours after scuba diving or at least some relief after being in the water swimming, snorkeling or surfing. Now that I'm in my mid 40's and have some issues with my neck, back and joints and am unable to be as active as I once was, I felt it necessary to change my diet so as not to gain weight. I also changed my eating habits, eating 3-5 times a day and never to much. I try to avoid mass helpings, big meals etc. I categorized my food, "quick and slow". Quick foods are the foods that my body seems able to break down quickly and pass through me with ease, slow foods are the foods that my body seems to struggle with and leads to constipation, lots of constipation! This took some time as I always crave the good stuff! Steak, cheese, Pizza (dough) etc. It was quite the effort to radically change what I ate and learn about other foods and dishes that my palate enjoyed. First I deleted all fast food and heavily processed food, that was a start for me and I kept telling myself "Rome wasn't built in a day" The next step was to lower my intake of foods high in sugar and sodium or salt, this was tough as I love my chocolate cookies and used to consume 2-3 a day, I never drink soda and I don't drink much OJ etc. Oh, and I drink only couple beers a week! Plenty of water and I need my coffee in the morning! This also made me realize I'm a poster child for sugar and salt! So before I drag this out and bore you to death let me quickly tell you what I've done and what the results have been.... I eat mostly chicken and fish, way more fresh vegetables and I snack on fruit. It does take discipline but that came easy for me as I started having more #2's and way less constipation. This lead to much less nerve pain and this of course is what we're striving for. I'm not saying it completely went away but with this diet, eating less more often and going for a couple miles push or a swim or a bike ride or a surf most days of the week, it helped me dramatically! I also never eat after 6pm and I now sleep better too. I know for me, food and beer was a guilty pleasure which I felt justified due to the pain I was in, I didn't realize that it was the foods and beers that were actually making things worse. Bottom line, I think if everything inside us is flowing, we generally feel better. Constipation is like a handbrake and it slows the system (circulation) I hope this gibberish will motivate some to give it a try and hopefully gain the results we all hope for...

Best,
    roller

So great to hear! I'm in a gut microbiome study for MS and was amazed to learn that the gut microbiome of people w SCI is actually different from those without. Crazy! With a disease, I could see the altered gut microbiome but due to injury? Anyhow, from my readings, you are now feeding your "good" bacteria better than before and have gotten a great thank you from them. Out of curiosity, your diet still includes dairy, wheat, other grains, legumes?

Hi Sheri,
    I cut way back on dairy, I don't eat a lot of bread and have never had to many grains in my diet. I did go gluten free early last year just to see but I believe my problem was more related to a lack of fresh and healthy foods vs slow moving unhealthy foods.

Thanks for the info roller.

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    I really appreciate your story, roller. And I completely agree with you and Sheri that without a healthy gut, everything else falls apart. Without a healthy gut, toxins build up, tissues swell up, we can't think straight, and infections won't heal. SCI has significantly slowed down my digestive process. Slow digestion allows bad bacteria to flourish where it never could before. My neuropathy screams at me when I'm constipated. Gut health is such an unglamourous subject that most people won't read or write about it, yet it is at the crux of our overall health, mental health, and longevity.
    Female, T9 incomplete

The gut is very important. They call it the second brain because brain chemicals are created in the gut. Your immune system (ability to fight off UTIs) is also dependent on your gut health. Gluten and lactose were throwing my gut out of balance. Beer has gluten. But because beer relieved the pain for the night, I considered it beneficial. But the pain was worse the next day. Finally figured out it was gluten. People who can't digest gluten tend to have problems with lactose as well. Now that I drink tequila instead of beer and avoid wheat and dairy, I'm in much better shape. I lost weight and my pain level decreased. If you have spasms you may also notice the same correlation with wheat and dairy.

When my back hurts and hurts bad, which isn't very often. Very fortunate, I go to the gym and work it out. Best and only way to relieve pain when it's really bad. I will also try and eat better, starting soon I always tell myself !

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Ajstevens, I see on your profile that you are a young and vibrant 33-year-old. I can see how 'working out' could solve your back pain problems at your age. But later in life, we just run out of energy to bounce around, yet we still want to stay alive. So learning to 'eat better' now will pay off some years from now when mention of going to a gym only results in an eye-roll.
    Female, T9 incomplete