Thread: sudden bladder behaviour changes, no infection

sudden bladder behaviour changes, no infection

hey all,

5 year post SCI. Have always managed bladder with a capped (no bag) SPC, not a ton of problems. Have feeling in my bladder so know when I need to 'void'.

Was colonized with e-coli for a while and I had recurrent infection symptoms (decreased capacity, pain) from time to time while undergoing chemotherapy in 2015. Eventually e-coli became resistant to all oral antibiotics, so did 6 weeks ertapenum. Cleared the e-coli completely.

Have had a couple random but treatable infections since. No infections since early February. Bladder function has been very steady.

Somewhat non-scientific but I keep track of my voiding volume by simply counting. I formerly counted about 50-60 second per void, with very little variation outside of those amounts.

Suddenly in last week my bladder volume has significantly decreased. I can barely make it to 40 seconds before needing to void. No pain otherwise that typically accompanies infections. Urine culture I took since the symptom began revealed no infection.

If I had seen a steady decrease of bladder holding volumes over time I would just chalk it up to aging or whatever, but the suddenness makes me think something else is at play, although I don't know what.

Going to put a call in to my urologist and likely a nurse at the rehab hospital but while I'm waiting for their return call, has any else experienced any sudden bladder behaviour problems not caused by infection? I don't take any medication to manage my bladder or bowels.

I look forward to reading any responses. Thanks. :-)

Sudden changes in bladder function can mean other things besides infection, although that is the most common. Anything that irritates the bladder could trigger it - a small stone, tugging on the catheter for too long, whatever may irritate it. My advice is to increase your fluids while waiting for your return phone calls. It may make a difference and will not harm you. How is your bowel program? That could also trigger this.
    ckf

thanks for the reply ckf. My default position is just wait and see especially given it's not causing me any sleeping problems, it's more of an inconvenience. Have a nice weekend.

Probably a good option since it is not a major problem. Don't wait too long to see someone though if it gets worse.
    Have a good weekend.
    ckf