Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install a winch to get on the floor?

Install a winch to get on the floor?

I believe if I can get on the floor regularly it will help me in many ways. Stretching, core building, functional progress, just overall benefits. Someone will install an electric winch in the ceiling in my workout room and I can use a safety harness to help lower me to the floor and back into my chair. Now that the possibility is there I'm having second guesses thinking if I'm wasting my time. Deep down I know I'm not but do you ever get these feelings? I'm thinking just install the thing and start getting on the floor and I think well maybe I should just wait. Appreciate your thoughts.

Blog Entries
    Floor is hard. Where ever you sit, use a therapeutic cushion.

Check out the first video clip in this article:

http://blogs.solidworks.com/swcommun...n-explore.html

Another ingenious creation by Icon wheelchair's co-founder and designer/fabricator Christian Bagg.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I was thinking of going this route ..
    http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-...art-61405.html

NW Will I never considered one of those for myself. But it is a pretty good thought, for lifting myself off the floor on the occasions I happen to get there. Watch for sales from Harbor Freight you may be able to save yourself a few bucks.

NW-Will I use one of these bath lifts. I took the floppy wings off since they are meant for the bathtub.
    https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/for/6097858105.html This one appears to be near you and reasonably priced.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Bath lift here too. Can find a used one for half the price of that harbourfreight thing.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

What kinda shape are you in ? Don't know your injury, not trying to be a jerk but i can easily get down and back up in chair.. T-6 complete if you're newly injured then they should have you practicing that. What happens if ya fall out somewhere ? How ya going to get back up

I'm a c2 incomplete, very reliant on powerchair for my independence. I plan for someone to help me to the floor, once there no risk of falling. I agree that you shouldn't do things too risky. Sadly a lot of people never make any progress beyond their comfort zone. I think with sci the wheelchair becomes our comfort and safety zone. Getting on the floor and out of the chair for a while will be a plus.

Lynnifer, I am always looking for things that permit me more function ability. I haven't sem any of these locally for much better pricing. The model that nonoise posted looks like a good item as well light in weight,foldability as well. I just haven't seen any locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post
    Lynnifer, I am always looking for things that permit me more function ability. I haven't sem any of these locally for much better pricing. The model that nonoise posted looks like a good item as well light in weight,foldability as well. I just haven't seen any locally.
    They get snapped up, look every couple of days.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.