Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scoliosis and treatment ?

scoliosis and treatment ?

how is that going to work? When treatment for sci comes what can I do, if anything, to reverse my scoliosis after treatment? I gradually developed scoliosis after sci because I am c4 and have had no trunk muscles to keep me straight. Is there going to be a way to reverse that?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

I don't know if I'm right or wrong about this, but my thought is that the physical adaptations we've had to make in order to compensate for SCI are pretty much set in stone. Bones have become calcified, arthritis has established irself, osteoporosis has weakened the skeleton, supportive muscles have atrophied - I just don't see how all of that could be reversed, at least not in cases where the damage has persisted for a long time.

Like you, I have pronounced scoliosis - and while I would love for it to be reversible, that would take years that I realistically don't have (you might, though - I don't know your specfific situation). That said, I would be thrilled if primary nerve damage could be halted in its tracks, even if I were stuck with the secondary effects of years of deterioration.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Damn I hope an angel is with us and I hope you are incorrect in a positive way
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    Damn I hope an angel is with us and I hope you are incorrect in a positive way
    So do I !!!!!!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Paralytic Curve Scoliosis - When muscles do not work around the spine, the spine itself may be thrown out of balance. Over several years, this can result in a curvature of the spine developing. This type of scoliosis is often caused by spinal cord injuries.

Adult scoliosis has a variety of treatment options. Whenever possible, the first choice of treatment for adult scoliosis is always going to be conservative. Spinal surgery will always be the last choice of treatment due to the risks involved. Conservative treatment that is commonly recommended includes: medications to treat symptoms and exercise therapies.
    If osteoporosis is present, then treatment of the osteoporosis may slow the progression of the scoliosis as well. This can be accomplished in several ways. The current recommendations include: increasing your calcium and vitamin D intake, hormone replacement therapy, and exercise therapies.

http://www.umm.edu/programs/spine/he...dult-scoliosis

pbr

I have twice yearly injections of a drug called Denosumab which halts the progression of osteoporosis. They are very expensive, in Australia about $750 each.

That drug here is known as forteo. And it is an option for osteoporosis. There are several drug options out there that may or may not work for you. It may help to slow down the progression of the osteoporosis and scoliosis. However, I could not find anything in the literature that says yes or no in persons with spinal cord injury. Most health care providers feel that it doesn't help all that much with the type of osteoporosis that you get with a spinal cord injury. My feelings are that it doesn't hurt to try it. talk to your health care provider about the issue.
    ckf

This begs the question: should newer SCIs wear some sort of postural brace to prevent scoliosis?
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

I've got the curvature as well. I would worry about what a brace would do where it presses on my my skin.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

what kind of positioning do you do in your chair? But the backrest, lateral supports, etc. because my spine after 34 years of being a quadriplegic, is making a C and it's to the point that I linger real hard to my right my shoulders twist to my left so I'm continuously fighting leaning over and the twisting which makes me real sore
    C4 incomplete since 1985