Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: e motion m-11 battery rebuild

No problem, MRB. Just didn't want to loose those that were responding and helping me. Anyway, I cannot get the tabs to stick to the tops of the batteries. Tried some soldier, also got crazy and tried the 12 volt car battery short circuit. I seem to be at a stand still until I can figure out what to do to get them to give me a good contact. Wonder if crazy glue would help.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtop1 View Post
    No problem, MRB. Just didn't want to loose those that were responding and helping me. Anyway, I cannot get the tabs to stick to the tops of the batteries. Tried some soldier, also got crazy and tried the 12 volt car battery short circuit. I seem to be at a stand still until I can figure out what to do to get them to give me a good contact. Wonder if crazy glue would help.
    Glue is non conductive. I used to have trouble with soldering irons/guns until I bought one of these butane soldering irons. You might have better luck with one of them, not cheap, but I do a fair amount of soldering.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weller-Po...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Nonoise,............I'm going to call around to some to these electronic repair shops and see if they can do it for me. I don't feel that I should have to go and buy one of these tools and then have it sit on a shelf never to be seen or used again just for this one time. I am kinda disappointed in not being able to get it done but, I don't want to ruin what has been a good job up until now. I'll let you know how I make out with my phone calls. I am unable to know just how hot I can get the battery to use the solder and get it to adhere.
    Last edited by bigtop1; 05-04-2017 at 09:40 AM.

From what I know, you have to have a really hot iron to dump the heat quick. Too long doing it can ruin the cell.

Rustyjames, you are exactly right. Just don't know how much heat it will take to ruin the battery. I looked at harbor freight and they have a small, pinpoint butane torch/solderer that they sell for around 15 dollars that I will give a try. Called a few electronics repair stores, shops around the area that I live. None of them want to take on the job. The next best thing I can do is send the paks off to another state that specializes in battery rebuilds that can do it. Before I do that, I will give it another try with the butane torch from HF. Raining most of the day here so, I will not be doing anything today but, I will have more time tomorrow. Those of you who have been following this thread, know that although a difficult project, with no time limits, it can be done. I am looking forward to getting back to it for one more try before I give up on it and let someone else do it. Probably end up paying more for it than just sending it off in the first place. Oh well. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtop1 View Post
    Rustyjames, you are exactly right. Just don't know how much heat it will take to ruin the battery. I looked at harbor freight and they have a small, pinpoint butane torch/solderer that they sell for around 15 dollars ....
    This?? https://www.harborfreight.com/butane...rch-63170.html
    Sorry, that is a torch. It produces a flame. It will be too hot for your type of soldering. The other uses a micro flame to heat the tip nearly instantly for conventional soldering.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.