Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: e motion m-11 battery rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by bigtop1 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk3vrKc4Y1w#t=5.31475

In gleaning all the information I can in preparation for the battery swap, I found this on you tube. Any comments?
    Be careful, his welds look terrible. Read through the comments, there is a lot of concern about excess sparking too. The sparking is controlled with another I saw a couple of years ago https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...p?f=31&t=68865
    That thread has lots of comments, but I do do not recall there being concern for the 12V battery explosion or destruction with his electronic additions. FWIW I bought one of his kits and ordered strips off ebay, but as it turned out I discovered a better solution for the problem at the time. Anyway what I saying is this cheap direct battery shorting is controversial at least. You could practice a lot with a trash battery, but put a barrier between you and the battery.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    I swapped my off road wheelchair to LiFeP04 batteries and got better range and the drive seems "smoother" There is a useful website on different types of battery and charging http://batteryuniversity.com. Mine needed a lead from each cell for the charger to monitor individual cells. Luckily we have a charity in the UK called Remap who help do stuff like this I'd never of managed myself even if I had hands.
    It's good to hear you swapped from lead acid to LifeP04 if that is what you did. Those individual wires for each cell is for balancing.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    mmmhh? I can understand that, Nonoise, ? but we removed the batteries many times trying to understand what was wrong, and all the cells were fine. Testing the circuit showed us it was continuous? And these two batteries WERE WORKING obviously !!...
    So another way to look at it is this. I have an old I-Glide Nimh battery which is similar to Nicad. It charges up fine. The indicator lights tell me it has a full charge. But that's voltage. Fully charged this I-Glide battery is only good for very short runs. Why? Because it's capacity mAh is compromised for one reason or another. I'm suggesting some or all of those 6000 mAh cells were compromised from the get go, maybe they were never 6000.

A few photos and yes the small wires monitor each cell and this is used balance them.I've also got a display to show watts used and once it hits a limit don't go past as batteries can be damaged.

Last edited by mrb; 05-01-2017 at 08:43 AM.

This really peaked my interest this morning, and found a whole bunch of nothing on Google about those M12 batteries, lol. Any chance of pictures of the guts of those? I'm really curious how those are put together, and what the markings on the existing cells are

The cells are http://www.evassemble.com/index.php?...roducts_id=175 I've got out 100 images from the guy that did the conversion, PM me your email address, I've created a dropbox folder for you to grab them. Some of the images are just shots of boxes, packaging but it was easier to move the whole folder.

EVA also have built up packs in varying sizes.I've not opened a cell but my electrical friend did check capacity and discharge whilst setting it up and didn't find any problems. I've never used them for enough time to deplete them so can't compare run times.

And this is for an E-Motion wheel battery? I was under the impression the OP wanted to stick with Nimh to use his existing charger and simplify getting those back on the road again

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    And this is for an E-Motion wheel battery? I was under the impression the OP wanted to stick with Nimh to use his existing charger and simplify getting those back on the road again
    no, it is my Boma 7 off road wheelchair and needs a new charger, ideally a good one to balance cells and avoid a BMS. It is an example of what is possible if you want to move to a different battery type which is where you can get the biggest gains. The charger was expensive so if you are working to a budget replace like for like.

You guys are starting to hijack my post from me. An update to the M-11/12 emotion battery pak: Purchased the harbor freight rechargeable battery paks. Have aligned all the batteries. I will be doing the spot welding on the tabs today. I have another emotion pak to duplicate the different connections to the circuit board. If all go's well, I should finish the job today. Then, it's to the charger and then, on the chair to see if it all works. No real rocket science here. Just have to be careful in the arrangement of everything. Have been able to salvage most of the tabs for connections. Stay tuned for updates.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Apologies, if you feel that my posts have hijacked your thread please ask an admin to delete them.