Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: e motion m-11 battery rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    I can call the guy and see if he is still interested in doing it - I remember that he had to buy plenty of 18 650 batteries to rebuild my batteries
    18650 would be a common lithium battery cell.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I've heard that batteriesplus does pack rebuilds in electronics and power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyy View Post
    I've heard that batteriesplus does pack rebuilds in electronics and power tools.
    NOPE they don't do emotion - that is the first place I checked before I found the guy that rebuilt mine.

I just talked to the guy and he said that he can do it, BUT he can’t really give you an estimate because he doesn't know how many internal batteries are totally dead or if the electronics are still good.
    He can give you an estimate once he takes A battery apart.
    You would have to ship a charger with the battery/s or after he gives you an estimate … he is located in Chicago
    I sent you guys a private message with his phone number
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Sorry, but I can't see the point in rebuilding a battery and mixing the old cells with new ones.

I'm inclined to agree with you rustyjames. I have decided to give this project a try on my own. I opened the emotion battery pak and found 20 1.2 volt C size batteries. I will stop by Harbor freight and pick up a couple of rechargeable battery paks for their drills. They are rated at 18 volts and have a total of 15 C type batteries in them. Same voltage. Now, if I can remove them and replace them in my emotion battery pak, I'll have succeeded. So,............stay tuned for updates and progress. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Some reference: How To Rebuild Your Old Rechargeable Battery Packs with new ones. CHEAP! - YouTube
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Check out http://www.batteryspace.com/ for bare cells, you can get them with tabs welded on for easy soldering also. Might be easier to go that route vs. cannibalizing Hazard Fraught packs

You might want to post over Wheelchair Driver for some input on this project. I think the cells might need to be charged/discharged and balanced before assembly for optimum performance. And you might want to check around for a better source (even eBay) than HF for the cells. But I could be wrong, they might have good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtop1 View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with you rustyjames. I have decided to give this project a try on my own. I opened the emotion battery pak and found 20 1.2 volt C size batteries. I will stop by Harbor freight and pick up a couple of rechargeable battery paks for their drills. They are rated at 18 volts and have a total of 15 C type batteries in them. Same voltage. Now, if I can remove them and replace them in my emotion battery pak, I'll have succeeded. So,............stay tuned for updates and progress. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Some reference: How To Rebuild Your Old Rechargeable Battery Packs with new ones. CHEAP! - YouTube
    From the French rebuilder it appears M11's are Nimh chemistry. If you replace yours with NiCads it will be a downgrade. Nimh packs are self balancing, I don't know about NiCads, they probably are too so no issues there. And I believe your charger system should be okay with changing types. You might verify that. As for soldering directly on the cells,...well this is the first I've seen anyone do it. Note the comment below his video. Normally cells are attached by electrical spot welding and small spot welders are becoming available. See https://endless-sphere.com/forums/ for more information on welders and connecting cells. That said, I'd do what you are doing and open a HF battery back since the cells are connected in series to get full voltage. There is likely enough tab and wire to connect up what you want to do.

Later today I looked up Harbor Freight and found this about their battery packs: Battery capacity 1500 mAh NiCd. That seems awfully low unless you can consider it is for each wheel. But much more is available elsewhere.
    Last edited by nonoise; 04-28-2017 at 04:20 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Check out http://www.batteryspace.com/ for bare cells, you can get them with tabs welded on for easy soldering also. Might be easier to go that route vs. cannibalizing Hazard Fraught packs
    Andy, this is a great find. Have you bought cells there? I looked all over for Nimh without much success a few months ago, but they have plenty, seems odd.

Nonoise,........A little mentoring if you will please. What is the significance of more or, less mAh? I note that Andy's battery space site offers the battery cell at 3000mAh as opposed to the lesser at HF. By the way, the pak that I opened from the emotion wheel indicated that is was the M 12 model batteries. I guess, this discovery makes my wheels a step above the M-11 model. This is another reference source I am using regarding some of the specs .......http://www.usatechguide.org/itemreview.php?itemid=434
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.