Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gall bladder

Gall bladder

I have severe heartburn issues. One thing the dr. Is recommending is having my gallbladder removed.
    From most everything I read and a lot of people i talk to there are issues with severe diarrhea after the surgery, that can last......... As we all know that's something know one needs let a lone an individual in a chair like myself.
    Have any of ya's had your gallbladder removed and was the risk worth the reward or did it only make everyday worse ??
    Thanks for any input

Gallbladder issues are exacerbated by fatty food intake. Have you had an abdominal CT scan done to look at your gallbladder? Do you have gall stones? or blockage? Those symptoms usually indicate the need for surgical removal

pbr

Do not have gall stones. They say it doesn't function right though. Yes have had the scan

Did you by chance, have the test where there is radiated stuff in your gallbladder, then you get a hormone in your I V that makes your gallbladder dump it's load of bile, which is timed to see how fast it works.

I had my gallbladder out, and did not get the runs. I hardly noticed anything. But it did not help my problem at all, unfortunately.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

i have had my gallbladder out as well, since constant nausea. also have major heartburn which i take meds for. before surgery i would try the multitude of heartburn meds out there on the market. i have had luck with protonix and dexilent
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Most people do not have trouble with diarrhea as long as they stay away from fatty foods. That does not mean that you can never eat them, but you should taper how much you do eat. Heartburn can be treated with a variety of medications and I would consider them in the meantime. Speak with your health care provider to see what they recommend for you.
    ckf

I also had my gallbladder removed but it did not help with my problems. I suggest you go to a really reputable GI doctor. This guy is crazy to say ahh let's take your gallbladder out and then see what happens. He has to have a reason with test results of ct scans or something. Hope you find a good doctor.

Didn't have that test but a test were I laid in a ct machine for 2 hrs or so then I drank some ensure( like old people drink, haha) then laid back down in machine for another 2 hrs.... That's how they determined it doesn't function.

Decided to opt out, pretty fortunate in the bowel issue and don't wanna do anything to change that !

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    i have had my gallbladder out as well, since constant nausea. also have major heartburn which i take meds for. before surgery i would try the multitude of heartburn meds out there on the market. i have had luck with protonix and dexilent
    You know you're not supposed to be on a certain type of acid reducer for so long ? Just seen this on the internet and asked my doctor ( family dr) as I've been on that for going on 6 yrs.... They found out it's BAD for kidneys after so long. There's a different class of anti acid ya can take for a longer period of time.. Forgot the name I'm on now.
    Maybe nurse will chime in. Gave my Dr shit for finding out on net but come to find out it's true !!

Thanks for all the replies

Had mine out nearly 20 years ago. Mine was well and truly blocked and I was exhibiting signs of jaundice (yellowed skin). I did not have any adverse side effects after the surgery and was fortunate to have a skilled surgeon.