Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm addicted

Red face I'm addicted

Hey guys,
    I started taking Percocet for pain about two months ago - before I was on hydrocodone but it didn't kill the pain.
    Percs make me feel good - there are some days that I don't even have pain but I just have to take it.
    I know that the next step is heroin which I would never ever touch but these damn pills are so addictive...
    I am prescribed to take 10-325mg/3x day but I only take it once or twice never three times even though I want to.

Did anyone ever experience anything like this? What did you do in this situation? -I know stupid question
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

If you want to stop, the best way is to taper down til youre at 5-10mg a day. It will keep withdrawal as bearable as possible. And ya...they're better for "feeling good" than they are for chronic pain. We used to snort em like real winners. I was orally taking 60mg hydro when discharged, but now only take a 5mg a few times a week. My main advice is to ease off if you plan on stopping. If you go from 30mg to nothing it'll shake you up a bit. If you don't plan on stopping, just keep it around or under your prescription dose. Good luck, stay safe...and it's ok to have a little fun. Especially in our lovely situation

Oxy. Very addictive. Only had then for surgery pain relief but last time I took all of them within a week.

Take a look at what's going on in your life that you need to escape from ... besides the obvious paralysis, pain, chair etc. lol
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Denied2016 View Post
    If you want to stop
    shit man, I do and don't at the same time - I know that opioid medications are the leading cause of death these days, but life is kind of boring without any 'highs'

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Oxy. Very addictive. Only had then for surgery pain relief but last time I took all of them within a week.

Take a look at what's going on in your life that you need to escape from ... besides the obvious paralysis, pain, chair etc. lol
    yeah, I want to escape

I understand...they were a lot more fun when I could move around and my body worked. Beautiful memories before this SCI happened. Now they hold less appeal so I just tapered them down and basically stopped.

Worst part is that even a day off brings immediate withdrawals. Body has receptors for opiates. So it's hard to just use them occasionally...then you end up circulating between use and withdrawal constantly. And withdrawal, for me, caused more pain than being off of them. Best of luck and have some fun

I was hospitalized a few years ago and they gave me a Percocet for whatever reason; I can see how easy it would be to become addicted, just taking one had me liking them.

What works for me as far as addiction to whatever goes, is to think of the hangover effects and how annoying they are. Be it f'ed up dreams and getting corked up with opiates, not being able to get to sleep or the 'something ate my brain' effects with others, seems to work rather well curtailing excessive usage. Whenever the thought of sampling some pharmaceuticals sounds like an interesting idea, think a bit about afterwards and how annoying that can be...could help with changing your mind about the idea.

^^^^Completely agree, had my day in the sun in my youth with "sampling" and don't want to relive that life. I'll just deal with the pain, staying busy is what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    I was hospitalized a few years ago and they gave me a Percocet for whatever reason; I can see how easy it would be to become addicted, just taking one had me liking them.
    YEAH man, I was addicted to hydros before and stopped taking them but percs are on another level - reaaallly...
    I think smoking was easier to quit

if you're living with chronic pain and you need a narcotic to keep it in check then you should just learn to forgive yourself for needing the medication. The physical dependence is just a natural thing if you're taking the medication… Even strictly as prescribed. Try not to beat up on yourself. You're doing what you need to do to live a quasi-pain-free life.