Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long flights

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Flight attendants have always been willing to help with reasonable requests... I just tell them what I need of them then and there. Tends to work out better that way. Just a word of caution. Don't do this unless you're sure you're not imposing unreasonable requests.
    Good point! I've learned that asking ahead of time (on the phone or email) doesn't often work because they get scared, or don't understand that it's a simple request, or don't want to commit to something they may not be able to do. I weigh 130 lbs, but there have often been problems when the person in back is not strong enough (e.g. they scrape my tailbone trying to go over the armrest of the airplane seat). It's too bad the U.S. doesn't let aides fly for free, the way they do in Canada. But still, I have often gotten better service from the airlines when I am alone (or pretend I'm alone), because they tend to expect your aide to handle everything. As you said, we must be assertive and clear about our needs, and the needs should be reasonable ones.
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle

These could be helpful on long flights.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/saf...ack-of-18.html
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Resurrecting this thread with a quick question. I'll be on a 14-hour flight in late September, so one of my main concerns is pressure relief. I use a Roho high-profile cushion. I've tried once on a flight before to sit on the cushion, but for reasons I've explained elsewhere before, at 6'4, it is too uncomfortable. I've read somewhere of having the plane seat cushion removed, and using my own cushion in its place. Has anyone requested this? If so, has the airline ben willing to do so (after all, they are floatation devices)? I'll be flying on JAL out of JFK.

I have requested to remove a seat to replace with my cushion and the airline (I believe it was United or American) said I could not remove the cushion due to FAA regulations. I don't know if they were just being unaccommodating or there is something with the crash testing of the aircraft that requires no changes to the passenger accommodations. It has been my experience that foreign flagged carriers (ANA or JAL if you are going to Tokyo) are much more willing to accommodate than US carriers. I am 6'2" so I'm in the same boat that I cannot sit on my cushion on top of the seat since it makes the seat back fit weird, so I just end up doing a 30-60 second weight shift every 1/2-1 hour. Good luck on your flight! I hope you have fun in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by ToastGuard View Post
    I have requested to remove a seat to replace with my cushion and the airline (I believe it was United or American) said I could not remove the cushion due to FAA regulations. I don't know if they were just being unaccommodating or there is something with the crash testing of the aircraft that requires no changes to the passenger accommodations. It has been my experience that foreign flagged carriers (ANA or JAL if you are going to Tokyo) are much more willing to accommodate than US carriers. I am 6'2" so I'm in the same boat that I cannot sit on my cushion on top of the seat since it makes the seat back fit weird, so I just end up doing a 30-60 second weight shift every 1/2-1 hour. Good luck on your flight! I hope you have fun in Japan.
    Thanks! I appreciate your feedback. I had a feeling that may be the response of the airlines.

Off topic, but do you think I'll have trouble bringing this set of wrenches in my carry-on, or will it be flagged? (hopefully image uploads)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Off topic, but do you think I'll have trouble bringing this set of wrenches in my carry-on, or will it be flagged? (hopefully image uploads)
    I carry the same thing with me every time I fly and TSA has never had a problem with it. I'm always very cooperative and explain everything TSA even gives a second look to.