Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long flights

Long flights

I posted this within my "Tokyo" thread, but I think I may get more feedback here, plus it may be helpful to others. The only thing holding me back from finalizing my trip to Tokyo is the 14-hour flight, and concerns over being able to adequately do weight shifts to avoid pressure sores. How have other quads, more-so high-level quads, managed? I've taken several cross-country flights, once in business class seats that lay flat (thanks to reward points), and fortunately didn't have issues, but the idea of 14 hrs frightens me a bit. An upgrade to premium economy, where the seats offer more recline, are an additional $2k/seat. I cannot sit on my regular roho cushion, because at 6'4, I already sit too high in the plane seat. Looking to see how others have managed on long flights.

a thin gel layer might help. Something only 1 inch thick or less. Sry to get off topic but Id wonder about urination myself. Do you cath? would you use a large nightbag? That would be my issue next to worry about skin.

I wear an external cath attached to a leg bag.

Yeah, I've wondered about that too. The thought of 14+ hours without access to a bathroom has made me not even consider such places like Tokyo or Australia.

International flights have wider doors on their bathrooms for accessibility. The flight attendants will assist you getting there with an isle-chair.

I did Detroit-to-Tokyo or Newark-Beijing many times pre-injury. There's no way I'd want to attempt the bathrooms unless absolutely necessary. They do have larger accommodations, but the floors are typically disgusting after the first few hours.

I figured if I were to do this today I'd shift the timing of bowel program to be as close to departure as possible and use a Foley for cath.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    International flights have wider doors on their bathrooms for accessibility. The flight attendants will assist you getting there with an isle-chair.
    They will not lift you into the aisle chair. You would have to have someone do that who is traveling with you if you can't transfer yourself. Best to plan on not needing to use the restroom.

If you have help, you can do side-to-side weight shifts in your wheelchair seat at least every half hour. If you are in the aisle seat, and your companion in the one next to you, remove the arm rest between you and lean all the way onto their lap. Make sure your other ischium lift up off the seat. Hold for 30 seconds. Have them step over you into the aisle and help you lean over that way as far as possible as well. Not sure why sitting on a Roho would not be possible for you even if you height is 6'4". You need to sit on a pressure reducing cushion. The airplane seat padding is horrible.

Do bowel care before you go, and if you are worried about bowel accidents, wear an adult diaper. Some people actually eat a low residue diet for several days before flying long distances.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Not sure why sitting on a Roho would not be possible for you even if you height is 6'4". You need to sit on a pressure reducing cushion. The airplane seat padding is horrible.(KLD)
    I'm 6'3"and sit on my Roho during a flight most of the time. That said, I understand why it is difficult to sit on the Roho cushion in an airline seat. The cushion sits me up so high in the seat that the roll of the the upper back of the airline seat hits me in an awkward place and forces my shoulders to haunch over and forward. That is an uncomfortable position. Even tilting the seat back doesn't help much. Sitting in that unnatural posture during long flight leaves me worn out and sore in my shoulders. The pain in my shoulders can last a couple days after landing.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I'm 6'3"and sit on my Roho during a flight most of the time. That said, I understand why it is difficult to sit on the Roho cushion in an airline seat. The cushion sits me up so high in the seat that the roll of the the upper back of the airline seat hits me in an awkward place and forces my shoulders to haunch over and forward. That is an uncomfortable position. Even tilting the seat back doesn't help much. Sitting in that unnatural posture during long flight leaves me worn out and sore in my shoulders. The pain in my shoulders can last a couple days after landing.
    Yes, this pretty much explains it, thanks!

Roho makes a thin travel cushion.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015