Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Off road wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    This rig is sweeeeet! 4X4 14 inch, high flotation and elevating seat, it's easy to understand your choice. Can you independently load it in the pickup? I ask because I need need to follow someone else s how to example.
    Yes I load it by myself. Bought foot wide aluminum ramps, that the chair walks right up. I have utility boxes on my truck, so it's higher them a standard pickup bed, would be easier with a standard bed.
    Drive the chair up the ramps, from my manual chair, until it's to high to reach. I can stand for a bit if I'm holding on to something, so that's how I finish driving it up the ramp.
    You could load it from a manual (or power) chair, without standing up if you had on of those platforms that fit into the trailer hitch. Was going to get one of those, but my truck is arighty 21 feet long, so thought better of it.

The aluminum ramps are very light.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Great choice!! Wonderful to get out and about.
    Just wondering what the mfg. recommends for charging it. On my ZX1 I'm told 'it loves charging', so I charge it when the battery indicator goes down one light, still has 4 lights to go - that is, I charge it even when just used it for a short time.
    Not sure if running down the battery to low charge is what's recommended for some types of equipment?

I've been told by the guy who makes my new chair, to charge the batteries often. The idea is to not use them until they are drained, unless you really need to.
    That being said, I don't charge them if I use the chair for a few minutes. Think you are doing it right.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

If the batteries are lead it's always best practice to keep them fully charged, even if you only move a few feet. And deep discharges will shorten battery life. Also, if the chair is not being used they will still draw a slight amount of power (unless they're disconnected), so they should be charged every few weeks.

Nice ''find.''