Thread: Advise on a Lift Slings

Advise on a Lift Slings

Hi, I'm having a lift made to raise and lower me from my wheelchair in and out of the lake off a dock for boating and swimming. Can anyone recommend a particular type or brand of seat or sling? Thanks.

What type of spreader bar? 2 point? 4 point?

Most people find a "hygiene" sling (one without any fabric under your butt, lifting from the posterior thighs) easiest to apply and remove. They make mesh fabric ones that dry much faster after use if you are going to be using it to actually get into the water. You may also want to look at a Surehands lift body support, although this is more difficult to install on a lift from a different company.

(KLD)

I would also suggest the Surehands Body Support. It's stainless steel and made for wet environments. Just make sure you demo it first to make sure it is comfortable enough for you. They also have a Wheelchair-to-Water Pool Lift for it.

Last edited by elarson; 04-19-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I use the mesh u-sling kld mentioned very easy for a quad to use solo
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    Are hygiene slings typically designed to carry most of your weight on the armpits? I just purchased one that goes under my armpits so puts a lot of weight on my shoulders. Maybe I didn't have it positioned correctly as I just got it. I think with a little more practice I can use it independently but I'm a bit concerned about the weight on my shoulders.
    http://www.silvalea.com/low-convenience-sling.html

No, that photo shows the wrong way to apply a sling like this. You should not have your arms on the outside of it. Cross your arms over your chest and the straps and back section should wrap around you.

(KLD)

when I put my arms inside i felt like I was sliding through it. I'll try again though. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That can happen if the sling is too large for you. Size should be based not just on weight, but on "butt size" as well. I would be looking at a different sling if I were you. It is not safe to bear weight through your armpits, esp. if you have weak shoulder muscles.

This one should be safer and more comfortable: http://www.silvalea.com/standard-uni...leg-sling.html

(KLD)

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    Make sure the leg straps are criss-crossed -

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    I always have my arms out to control the remote the sling I use is designed this way. if to big u can slide through and put pressure on shoulders. I use this

http://www.arjohuntleigh.com/product...ling-low-back/
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer