Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting a Burley Travoy cargo trailer to a TiLite wheelchair

Connecting a Burley Travoy cargo trailer to a TiLite wheelchair

I am doing yet another one of my little projects... I'm not sure if I will actually do it, but would appreciate some input.

I am trying to mount a Burley Travoy cargo trailer to a TiLite ZRA rigidizer bar. We want to use it when my husband uses his Spinergy ZX-1 Power Add-on when we are inside of shops so that I can be hands free to shop. We might also possibly use it when travelling to carry luggage.

It won?t be driven at high speeds or on rough ground. I also don?t imagine it will be very heavy loads, maybe 40-50 lbs / 18-22 kg maximum, which is well withing the weight limit with him in it for the ZRA. I realise that there may be warranty issues, but would like to stick with the technical issues.

There are some photos at the bottom of the post.

The only other option I can think of is to attach it to the arm rests of the ZX1, but then he will be super wide and it will be hard to manoeuvre and will also be very low to the ground.

The hitch on the Travoy is designed to mount on a vertical bike seat post. These are the specs for the hitch:

• Hitch mounting height: 28-34 in / 71-86 cm
    • Hitch diameter: ? 25-32mm seat posts (M6 bolts)

My husband has a folding titanium adjustable height seat back that locks when folded with a 4? deep backrest rigidizer bar. These are the specs for the wheelchair rigidizer bar:

• Wheelchair rigidizer bar height: 22 in / 56 cm
    • Wheelchair rigidizer bar diameter: is ? .75 in / 19 mm

I am thinking that maybe I can mount ? .75 in / 19 mm tubing vertically using a push handle clamp that is meant to mount on the rigidizer bar. I have some spare 6-8 in tubing pieces that would allow me to raise it so that it would fit the hitch mounting height.

The good thing about using this clamp is that I could remove the tube when it is not in use, but the clamp would need to stay on the rigidiizer bar. I would also need a shim to fit the hitch at ? 1 in / 25 mm on the ? .75 in / 19 mm tubing.

Here are some photos of the different bits mentioned. To see them larger you can click them, but may get sent to our website -- I have a hard time posting photos on the forum.

Any comments or suggestions, or busting your gut in laughter?

Last edited by elarson; 04-18-2017 at 07:28 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

It's no laughing matter

You might consider this product invented by a chair user. I supported it nominally on kickstarter, and have been getting updates. I think the first run of bags is being shipped soon, if it hasn't already.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-a/description

Jump ahead to 2:20 in the video to see it in use on a chair.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 04-18-2017 at 10:31 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I really like that. It may be my next expensive purchase that I can't afford -- I'm a bit of a luggage geek. Heck, maybe we will get the Carbon Black at the same time

I really like the omni wheels and the simple design of the bags. It is also compatible with the Max Mobility Smart Drive. I couldn't get a good look at the adjustable connector bracket used to hitch it, but am curious.

Here is a link to the video that shows the wheelchair well. Here is their website: www.phoenixinstinct.com

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    It's no laughing matter

You might consider this product invented by a chair user. I supported it nominally on kickstarter, and have been getting updates. I think the first run of bags is being shipped soon, if it hasn't already.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-a/description

Jump ahead to 2:20 in the video to see it in use on a chair.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I really like that. It may be my next expensive purchase that I can't afford -- I'm a bit of a luggage geek. Heck, maybe we will get the Carbon Black at the same time

I really like the omni wheels and the simple design of the bags. It is also compatible with the Max Mobility Smart Drive. I couldn't get a good look at the adjustable connector bracket used to hitch it, but am curious.

Here is a link to the video that shows the wheelchair well. Here is their website: www.phoenixinstinct.com

I went all-in for this project on Kickstarter.

If things goes well, we'll someday receive the bag, backpack and an adapter bracket to connect the system onto my husband's TiLite
    seat back bar. The creator has been very upfront regarding the progress and potential delays to all of his backers. The April update was that the bag component is completed, inspected and on a slow delivery ship from China to the UK. He's actively working to get the attachment brackets molded and inspected. I'm optimistic that I'll eventually get an item that will enable less physical labor from me during travel and even doing the laundry at home.
    I'll post pictures when the Phoenix Instinct wheelchair luggage eventually arrives.

While the Kickstarter project is closed, the Phoenix Instinct wheelchair luggage is available on Indiegogo, another crowdfunding site: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...l-travel-bag#/

Why not put the ZX-1 to work? Put a milk crate or laundry basket on top of it, or attach it to the back.

@2drwhofans Yes, please post photos. I'm an AB care partner and also would like one for myself.

There is not really enough room on top of it to place anything, and I can't really find a suitable hitch point other than the swing away armrests. I would really like something more secure, and also where it would not take up so much extra space around him.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Why not put the ZX-1 to work? Put a milk crate or laundry basket on top of it, or attach it to the back.

Can you not just put a 90 degree connector https://www.amazon.com/Foxnovo-Unive.../dp/B00U5PX0QG or something similar on there to mate the vertical trailer connection to the horizontal rigidizer?

https://bicyclewarehouse.com/collect...nect-stem-2016

Just get a small piece of vertical tube to connect the trailer to.

Thank you so much for the idea. I looked all over for something like these, but could not find anything. I was mostly looking for bicycle seat post connectors.

I kind of think the Foxnovo is going to be much too weak, but maybe I can give it a go for concept.

I like the idea of a stem connector much better. The biggest issue will be that most are larger, but possibly a shim on the rigidizer bar side will work. On the hitch side it would be just under the upper limit of 32 mm. It is probably cheaper than a TiLite clamp, and much easier to source. I'll just need to cut a cheap stem post.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    Can you not just put a 90 degree connector https://www.amazon.com/Foxnovo-Unive.../dp/B00U5PX0QG or something similar on there to mate the vertical trailer connection to the horizontal rigidizer?

https://bicyclewarehouse.com/collect...nect-stem-2016

Just get a small piece of vertical tube to connect the trailer to.

I think I might have found something that will do the trick. It's a BMX A-head stem with a clamp only 3.1 mm wider than the rigidizer bar with a stem extender that fits the A-head and the trailer hitch. Oh how I like it when I can use non-wheelchair parts on projects -- it's always so much cheaper. Hopefully it will work....