Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplements for healing

Supplements for healing

I have been drinking Boost with extra protein to help heal a pressure ulcer. I have also been reading about Juven on different threads on this site. Would it be overkill to use both of these at the same time? Or should I just choose one or the other? And which should I choose?
    Thanks, Clint
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"
    Mossy Oak ProStaff - Make A Difference, Get Involved.
    http://plegicoutdoorsman.blogspot.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ClintLindemann

Variety? Either is good. Or you can get protein powder and/or mix it in whatever you want. Recommended 40- 50 gms per day. Be careful with overdoing it.
    CWO

You might consider taking L-Arginine and or L-Citrulline. I was taking L-Arginine in the past but now am only taking L-Citrulline to help promote blood flow which in turn promotes healing. As a bonus, L-Citrulline is supposed to help with cardiac health and better blood flow means (possible) better erections... if that matters to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    You might consider taking L-Arginine and or L-Citrulline. I was taking L-Arginine in the past but now am only taking L-Citrulline to help promote blood flow which in turn promotes healing.
    Have you noticed any effect? Is it better to take both?

There are articles from medical studies that only report that L-Arg. is beneficial, but most all of the other articles by bodybuilders and athletic trainer types claim that L-Cit. is what turns the L-Arg. into nitric-oxide, which boosts blood flow. If you eat enough food containing L-Arg., you should be okay with only taking the L-Cit. I have a shear wound in my lower groin and my nurse was blown away with the healing in one week. I eat a high protein breakfast (eggs, sausage and a hot chocolate with some extra whey powder) and a balanced dinner. When I take my morning pills, I put a scoop of the L-Citrulline in what's left my pill taking juice (cranberry/orange) and drink it down. Its really sour, but I like it. About like a pixie-stick sourness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have a fast heart-rate, rarely drops below 90 during the day, and my nurse says it probably contributes to healing but I think the L-Citrulline does as much. Plus my soldier salutes more often since I've been taking the Arg. & Cit.
    I stopped taking the Arg. after reading more about the Cit. but I would probably take both if cost wasn't an issue.

I used Blue Bonnet protein mixed with coconut or soy milk. Got it on Amazon. Steak and eggs. You can look up how much protein you need on line, by your weight. You can tell its working, because your nails and hair grow like mad.

Any of the protein powders will certainly add a significant amount of protein to your diet. You just have to be careful because they may be loaded with a lot of calories and cholesterol. I have used the strawberry flavored protein powder Syntha - 6 from BSN in the past. Each scoop has 24 g of protein and it taste pretty good. However right now I just drink 2 vanilla flavored Ensure Plus shakes. Each 8 ounce shake has 13 g of protein and 356 calories. I am trying to put on some weight and heal up a tiny and shallow scrape on my butt right over the ischium. After three or four weeks it seems to have definitely helped. I have put on about 10 pounds and the scuffed up area on my butt is a heck of a lot better.

I tried Juven for a few months a few years ago and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    You might consider taking L-Arginine and or L-Citrulline. I was taking L-Arginine in the past but now am only taking L-Citrulline to help promote blood flow which in turn promotes healing. As a bonus, L-Citrulline is supposed to help with cardiac health and better blood flow means (possible) better erections... if that matters to you.
    Amazon sells a combination together.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I saw that Now Foods has the combo, but I eat lots of pork, chicken and turkey... and peanut butter, so I think I have enough natural L-Arginine in my system.
    L-Citrulline on the other hand, not so much. (Not a fan of watermelon, unless its just juice)

I'm a quad so it's hard for me to mix or shake up a powder. The shakes I drink are Premier Protein, it's easy for me to hold and shake the container and open the bottle. They are high in protein 30 grams, low in fat, 1 gram of sugar, 160 calories and 24 vitamins and minerals.

http://shop.premierprotein.com/Premi...Protein@Shakes
    ^^(A)^^