Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about tires..

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    And then there's the "cool" factor. Get what you will feel best in. Maybe Google 'images' of folks sitting in wheelchairs to see what you like.
    I don't know if your condition will progress (hope not), but if you think the future may find you traveling outdoors to have fun, etc. go with the options that look good as well as functional. So many colors to choose from. Black, quality air tires. (No, they don't mark floors), would be a more comfortable ride outdoors.

Make sure your provider gives you the specs on the chair you want, in writing! Unbelievable the number of errors that occur between the customer, the provider, the manufacturer. If you can afford add-on options, go for it, as the chair should last quite a while.

Many knowledgeable folks here can suggest the names of suitable chairs. The model you want should be provided to DME before they do estimate for a cheapie.

Thanks for for the info, I've already provided the DME with some chairs that I liked, I had an evaluation with the PT and we discussed the chairs that I liked the look of and then what they suggested and we were able to come to a conclusion on which chair would work best but the PT didn't have much input on accessories and upgrades/add-ones so I'm doing that research myself and working with the DME about it. I'll be sure to get the final specs in writing, thanks for the tip!

Also, some folks here may be willing to review the final specs if you wish and are able to post them.

Spinergy LX and SHOX solid rubber tires.

I ordered solid tires on my first (current) chair and swapped them out for Marathon's. I found the solid tires provided a rather rough ride on pavement (you mention you're looking for something that will give a nice smooth ride indoors and outdoors). The DME that I worked with for my original order didn't provide a huge discount on 'options' and I realized after the fact that it would have been better to order cheap components and then purchase upgrades online (and keep the cheaper components as backup parts). But the DME subsequently changed ownership and the new owner is fantastic - very reasonable on costs and provides outstanding service, so I'd easily go with his recommendations and pay a bit more for his support. I agree with all the comments about looking at images to find the look you want, that really helps. It sounds like you have most of the basics covered - but just in case, I found this video just AFTER I'd ordered my original chair and I truly wished that someone had shown it to me before ordering (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc1aDJgdzzk). I hope that helps. Good luck with your chair!

What an excellent video, HockeyFan! Thanks for posting.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Who is this new DME with a fantastic new owner ? Sounds like a dream!

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    I ordered solid tires on my first (current) chair and swapped them out for Marathon's. I found the solid tires provided a rather rough ride on pavement (you mention you're looking for something that will give a nice smooth ride indoors and outdoors). The DME that I worked with for my original order didn't provide a huge discount on 'options' and I realized after the fact that it would have been better to order cheap components and then purchase upgrades online (and keep the cheaper components as backup parts). But the DME subsequently changed ownership and the new owner is fantastic - very reasonable on costs and provides outstanding service, so I'd easily go with his recommendations and pay a bit more for his support. I agree with all the comments about looking at images to find the look you want, that really helps. It sounds like you have most of the basics covered - but just in case, I found this video just AFTER I'd ordered my original chair and I truly wished that someone had shown it to me before ordering (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc1aDJgdzzk). I hope that helps. Good luck with your chair!

Thanks for the video HockeyFan, that was very helpful! And also thank you to everyone who gave suggestions, lots of good info I appreciate it all!

NSM in Campbell, CA. Jeff has been great to work with. (In reply to NW-Will - for some reason the quote function didn't work)

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    NSM in Campbell, CA. Jeff has been great to work with. (In reply to NW-Will - for some reason the quote function didn't work)