Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anything new in the way of power chairs?

Anything new in the way of power chairs?

Seems like a lot of same old same old. Especially rear wheel drive - my preference.

Anyone in the know have leads on new power chair tech / manufacturer?

Sorry no help but I am trying to decide on my next chair. Would you mind explaining why you prefer a rear wheel drive chair and which one is your favorite. Thanks

Mama only wants RWD and pretty much hates all others. She says it drives more like a car. She says they go where she wants it to go.
    I think it's because her first powerchair was RWD and she's just comfortable with it. But, what do I know My first powerchair was RWD, just a manual hopital style chair with chain driven motors, not sure there were even any other options back then. I currently have a Amysystem AllTrack R3 HD and an older 21st Century H-frame. Both of which Mama don't like.
    Personally I like FWD cause IMHO they are easier to maneauver. I want to Demo a Permobil F3 and see how it handles. Hope FWD becomes popular and maybe more makers will start having more models in the marketplace.
    I pretty much use Q6 Edge as daily chair now and it real good in tight quarters with fairly small footprint.

I am also prefer RWD because of the natural tracking ability among other factors. There are exceptions of course dependent on your primary needs.

Take a look at this forum post from WHEELCHAIRDRIVER.COM to see a perspective on the various drive types.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/boar...php?f=2&t=5624

I'm looking for my first power chair too, but elevation, standing and lying down positions are key. Looking for something that will allow me to work (desk job) all day which means recline and range of motion. Standing for lectures and presentations.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I'm looking for my first power chair too, but elevation, standing and lying down positions are key. Looking for something that will allow me to work (desk job) all day which means recline and range of motion. Standing for lectures and presentations.
    Take a look at this thread: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...M300-Corpus-G3

Hi Wes,

My preference for RWD, largely stems from, "Its what I've always had." - Not the best reasoning, but I know and am comfortable how they handle and perform indoors and out. For all the talk of turning radius - I can maneuver my rwd's on a dime in the tightest spots.

Front wheels drives just look ... Odd. Ironically, the https://permobilus.com/product/f5/ F5 looks backwards. Oriented the other way, it may be a decent looking chair IMHO.

Mid wheel seem to offer the best of both worlds, but lack ground clearance needed to install ez lock type secure systems for driving van.

My last two chairs have been Quickie. P222 and now the 646se. I think the P222 was my favorite. I could climb hills a person in a wheelchair has no business climbing without fear of flipping.

Now that I am older I am looking at comfort and the https://permobilus.com/product/c350/ looks to fit the bill but seems a little "delicate" and also seems to lack ground clearance at only 3".

To be honest, I am a little dismayed at how little progress there has been in power chair design in 30 years.

Hey Tony,

Yes, that Burgerman guy knows his stuff. Been reading him for years. If he built w/c - i'd buy one from him. Frankly, I don't know why power chair manufacturers are not beating a path to his door asking him to consult. He gets rthe real world needs of wheelchair users.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyCrip View Post
    Hi Wes,

My preference for RWD, largely stems from, "Its what I've always had." - Not the best reasoning, but I know and am comfortable how they handle and perform indoors and out. For all the talk of turning radius - I can maneuver my rwd's on a dime in the tightest spots.

Front wheels drives just look ... Odd. Ironically, the https://permobilus.com/product/f5/ F5 looks backwards. Oriented the other way, it may be a decent looking chair IMHO.

Mid wheel seem to offer the best of both worlds, but lack ground clearance needed to install ez lock type secure systems for driving van.

My last two chairs have been Quickie. P222 and now the 646se. I think the P222 was my favorite. I could climb hills a person in a wheelchair has no business climbing without fear of flipping.

Now that I am older I am looking at comfort and the https://permobilus.com/product/c350/ looks to fit the bill but seems a little "delicate" and also seems to lack ground clearance at only 3".

To be honest, I am a little dismayed at how little progress there has been in power chair design in 30 years.
    I don't know if the ground clearance requirement is different for an EZ Lock in the driver's position vs the passenger position. That said, I have a Honda Odyssey mini van with an EZ Lock in the passenger position that works with my Permobil m300. Took delivery on the Permobil m300 about 3 months ago, and my van conversion dealer installed the lock down pin on the chair and moved the existing tie down floor mechanism in my van to accommodate the requirements of the Permobil.

The dealer had to shim the battery up a bit in the battery box...flat top battery is essential. I've not had any problems with the tie down bolt hanging up on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyCrip View Post
    Hi Wes,

RWD and turning on dime. I've had a couple 21st Century Scientific H-frames and they would turn pretty much in their own footprint. But, only big drawback were the batteries, Group 27 use be hard to locate because at least our DME always had to order them.
    BTW: Thought throw in Mama has a Permobil 350. She's had it about 5 years and has no complaints on ride. Only big problem was the anti-tippers on it stuck way out in back, to far for our van setup. But, Tech removed them without any problem.
    Only thing else is batteries it uses Group 34. The front battery barely clears under a bar on frame with the battery cables connected, looks pretty tight in there.
    Would be nice if there were more choices in powerchairs by now. To be honest though, I kinda miss the old chain drive chairs. I felt assured as long as the chain could be heard slapping you'd be moving!