Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poiesis Duette Catheter - Balloons Fluid Loss

Quote Originally Posted by Fragile View Post
    Has anybody found a reliable source for the prefilled syringes with glycerin?
    An email that I received from Poiesis Medical indicates that the European catheter manufacturer Rusch recommends and supplies with their silicone catheters (in kit form) the 10% aqueous glycerin prefilled syringes. Poiesis Medical appears to be in negotiation with Rusch to become a supplier of these syringes in the United States. After doing an internet search and not finding much, I get the impression that these syringes are not readily available in the United States at this time. I guess for now, we wait to see how Poiesis will be offering these syringes. If anyone has any better luck finding a United States source, let us know here.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    An email that I received from Poiesis Medical indicates that the European catheter manufacturer Rusch recommends and supplies with their silicone catheters (in kit form) the 10% aqueous glycerin prefilled syringes. Poiesis Medical appears to be in negotiation with Rusch to become a supplier of these syringes in the United States. After doing an internet search and not finding much, I get the impression that these syringes are not readily available in the United States at this time. I guess for now, we wait to see how Poiesis will be offering these syringes. If anyone has any better luck finding a United States source, let us know here.
    This catheter has been nothing but good to me. I have noticed that the balloons lose water a long time ago. I really hope that we get those syringes in US soon.
    I ordered 50 catheters 1 hear ago just so I don't run out
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    This catheter has been nothing but good to me. I have noticed that the balloons lose water a long time ago. I really hope that we get those syringes in US soon.
    I ordered 50 catheters 1 hear ago just so I don't run out
    50 catheters? How often do you change your catheter? 50 would last me about 4 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    If anyone has any better luck finding a United States source, let us know here.
    Not a USA source, but their website says they ship worldwide, and they list a US$ (USA dollars) price:
    http://www.medibargains.co.uk/optipure-purified-water-with-10-glycerin-x-200-syringes/

If you are really motivated to use this, you could consider making your own. It would require taking the sterile water or normal saline pre-filled 10ml. syringe from your catheter insertion kit, squirt out 1ml, and use it to then suck up 1ml. of 100% liquid glycerin. If you use this for the balloon filling, be sure that the glycerin is mixed well in the syringe before use (shake it well).

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/af...uId=sku4117393

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 04-18-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    50 catheters? How often do you change your catheter? 50 would last me about 4 yrs.
    You're right, changing the catheter about once a month, you have a 4 year supply.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Not a USA source, but their website says they ship worldwide, and they list a US$ (USA dollars) price:
    http://www.medibargains.co.uk/optipu...-200-syringes/

If you are really motivated to use this, you could consider making your own. It would require taking the sterile water or normal saline pre-filled 10ml. syringe from your catheter insertion kit, squirt out 1ml, and use it to then suck up 1ml. of 100% liquid glycerin. If you use this for the balloon filling, be sure that the glycerin is mixed well in the syringe before use (shake it well).

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/af...uId=sku4117393

(KLD)
    I'm personally not motivated enough to use the glycerin syringes for filling the balloons to go to either of the extents you've mentioned. I haven't found deflation of the silicone balloons over a month's use to be that much of a problem. I'll wait until they are available in the United States and I can bill them through my insurance as medically necessary supplies.

Until recently, when a member here mentioned they noticed the balloons deflating in the Duette catheters, I don't think many of us gave it much thought. I think it should be said that the Duette catheter isn't unique in this problem. With silicone foley catheters, in general, you will find the balloons will deflate some over a one month use. It is the silicone material, not a manufacturing issue.

I brought this balloon deflation discussion to the attention of Charlene Johnson, Vice President of Operations and Clinical Education. See her reply, in part, at post number 7 in this thread.

She sent me 4 Curas Prefilled Syringes filled with Aqueous Glycerine Solution 10% to try. I've just changed my catheter (catheter in place for 5 weeks) for the first time since using two of the syringes 10cc in the non black ballloon port and 5cc in the black balloon port. I deflated the balloons by withdrawing the solution from the balloons with a lurlock type syringe and measured the amounts. I had mixed results that I don't understand.

I got a return of approximately 9.75cc from the non black balloon. Minimal or really no deflation (loss of solution at all).

I got a return of approximately 2.50cc from the black balloon, a loss of 50% of the solution.

I'll send these results to Charlene. Hope she has some insights.

I received an email from the President of Poiesis with the following comments. He did not answer my question as to where I can purchase the Curas Prefilled Aqueous Glycerin syringes. I sent another email asking that question again. I'll post that information when/if I get another response.

• It is important to understand that attempting to have the same amount of fluid removed as went in will never align. Some fluid will always remain in the catheter. The non-colored black port will typically have more remaining then the colored port. Averaging around 1 CC while the colored port may vary from 1 to .5CC. Also here is wear the varying comes into play (other than ones mentioned above), going past the recommended use time of 4 weeks, a user of the product may see more osmosis. However reviewing the osmosis and the variables involved the specs are within tolerance.

• Regarding the osmosis the most important item is how are you doing respectful? Some individuals become aware if they are experiencing more osmosis during the 30 days use and have added small amounts respectful. It is not uncommon for individuals to replace balloon level with 1-3 CC especially if they make the decision to use the product past the labeling. As a user this is your option but as a company we cannot recommend. This is why I mentioned how you were feeling, goes back to the saying “if it aint broke don’t fix it”.

• The use of syringes has been reviewed by our FDA firm and their use is available.

• Regarding the insertion, yes this can be a difficult item to address with 100% confidence. As stated above each individual can present with their unique situation so as to providing assistance (other than mentioned) would be of little use I am afraid. We have heard that there are stoma plugs out on the market. One user stated he employs a slightly larger plug then the catheter during each change. He pulls the cath then inserts the plug which is slightly larger, then comfortably prepares the new catheter for insertions. He seems to appreciate the relaxed nature of the change. Again each person has their own method for their own individual situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    They're kindly sending me a sample of the glycerine syringes, so I'll report back too. Currently we're using sterile water, and draining and refilling the balloons every week.
    who is "they?" the duette maker or a different company?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Quote Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
    who is "they?" the duette maker or a different company?
    Poiesis Medical, manufacturer of the Duette catheters sent me the samples of the aqueous glycerin solution syringes.

Contact Derek: derek@poiesismedical.com or Charlene: charlene@poiesismedical.com for samples of the catheters and syringes.

Read the instructions carefully. You fill one balloon with 10cc of solution, the other balloon with 5cc of solution.

anyone out there w/experience with the stoma plugs mentioned above in the comments of Poiesis Medical?? are they used only when changing a catheter or do they remain in the stoma?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"