Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poiesis Duette Catheter - Balloons Fluid Loss

Quote Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
    anyone out there w/experience with the stoma plugs mentioned above in the comments of Poiesis Medical?? are they used only when changing a catheter or do they remain in the stoma?
    I sent an email to the employee at Poiesis who wrote that in an email to me. If he replies with information, I will post it on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
    anyone out there w/experience with the stoma plugs mentioned above in the comments of Poiesis Medical?? are they used only when changing a catheter or do they remain in the stoma?
    I received a reply with these images for stoma plugs:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    50 catheters? How often do you change your catheter? 50 would last me about 4 yrs.
    Yes, ha ha - so I don't run out. I get it changed monthly. Sometimes twice a month if it gets clogged or is a faulty catheter.
    So far I've had about five or six that were faulty
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    Yes, ha ha - so I don't run out. I get it changed monthly. Sometimes twice a month if it gets clogged or is a faulty catheter.
    So far I've had about five or six that were faulty
    I assume you are talking about the Duette catheter. What was wrong with the catheters that were "faulty?" Same problem each time? Different problems each time?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I assume you are talking about the Duette catheter. What was wrong with the catheters that were "faulty?" Same problem each time? Different problems each time?
    Yes duette - sometimes caregiver was unable to get the saline out from the balloon once filled, other times the balloon would not fill up mostly due to port issues.
    A few times the catheter was hard to remove due to some saline staying inside the balloon

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    Yes duette - sometimes caregiver was unable to get the saline out from the balloon once filled, other times the balloon would not fill up mostly due to port issues.
    A few times the catheter was hard to remove due to some saline staying inside the balloon
    Did you contact Poiesis? Did they have any answers as to why you had these problems? Did they offer replacement catheters?

To try to get as much saline out of the balloon as possible, I use a luer lock syringe, which docks tightly with the balloon port. Ideally pressure within the balloon will force the plunger back and the syringe will fill with water. Then, I remove the plunger from the barrel of the syringe and insert the lure lock tip on the barrel into the balloon port and depress the valve a couple of times. Usually, I will get several drops of fluid that run down the inside of the barrel and drip into a collection tray or bowl. If you are using an older syringe, the plunger may not move with the force in the balloon. In that case, you can slowly aspirate the fluid out of the balloon by pulling the plunger back. Then repeat as above with the barrel only to "milk" the last few drops out of the balloon.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Did you contact Poiesis? Did they have any answers as to why you had these problems? Did they offer replacement catheters?
    No, I did not contact them. I just figured it would be a faulty catheter. I will buy one of the syringes – thanks a lot