Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poiesis Duette Catheter - Balloons Fluid Loss

Quote Originally Posted by Fragile View Post
    Has anybody found a reliable source for the prefilled syringes with glycerin?
    An email that I received from Poiesis Medical indicates that the European catheter manufacturer Rusch recommends and supplies with their silicone catheters (in kit form) the 10% aqueous glycerin prefilled syringes. Poiesis Medical appears to be in negotiation with Rusch to become a supplier of these syringes in the United States. After doing an internet search and not finding much, I get the impression that these syringes are not readily available in the United States at this time. I guess for now, we wait to see how Poiesis will be offering these syringes. If anyone has any better luck finding a United States source, let us know here.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    An email that I received from Poiesis Medical indicates that the European catheter manufacturer Rusch recommends and supplies with their silicone catheters (in kit form) the 10% aqueous glycerin prefilled syringes. Poiesis Medical appears to be in negotiation with Rusch to become a supplier of these syringes in the United States. After doing an internet search and not finding much, I get the impression that these syringes are not readily available in the United States at this time. I guess for now, we wait to see how Poiesis will be offering these syringes. If anyone has any better luck finding a United States source, let us know here.
    This catheter has been nothing but good to me. I have noticed that the balloons lose water a long time ago. I really hope that we get those syringes in US soon.
    I ordered 50 catheters 1 hear ago just so I don't run out
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    This catheter has been nothing but good to me. I have noticed that the balloons lose water a long time ago. I really hope that we get those syringes in US soon.
    I ordered 50 catheters 1 hear ago just so I don't run out
    50 catheters? How often do you change your catheter? 50 would last me about 4 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    If anyone has any better luck finding a United States source, let us know here.
    Not a USA source, but their website says they ship worldwide, and they list a US$ (USA dollars) price:
    http://www.medibargains.co.uk/optipure-purified-water-with-10-glycerin-x-200-syringes/

If you are really motivated to use this, you could consider making your own. It would require taking the sterile water or normal saline pre-filled 10ml. syringe from your catheter insertion kit, squirt out 1ml, and use it to then suck up 1ml. of 100% liquid glycerin. If you use this for the balloon filling, be sure that the glycerin is mixed well in the syringe before use (shake it well).

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/af...uId=sku4117393

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 04-18-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    50 catheters? How often do you change your catheter? 50 would last me about 4 yrs.
    You're right, changing the catheter about once a month, you have a 4 year supply.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Not a USA source, but their website says they ship worldwide, and they list a US$ (USA dollars) price:
    http://www.medibargains.co.uk/optipu...-200-syringes/

If you are really motivated to use this, you could consider making your own. It would require taking the sterile water or normal saline pre-filled 10ml. syringe from your catheter insertion kit, squirt out 1ml, and use it to then suck up 1ml. of 100% liquid glycerin. If you use this for the balloon filling, be sure that the glycerin is mixed well in the syringe before use (shake it well).

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/af...uId=sku4117393

(KLD)
    I'm personally not motivated enough to use the glycerin syringes for filling the balloons to go to either of the extents you've mentioned. I haven't found deflation of the silicone balloons over a month's use to be that much of a problem. I'll wait until they are available in the United States and I can bill them through my insurance as medically necessary supplies.

Until recently, when a member here mentioned they noticed the balloons deflating in the Duette catheters, I don't think many of us gave it much thought. I think it should be said that the Duette catheter isn't unique in this problem. With silicone foley catheters, in general, you will find the balloons will deflate some over a one month use. It is the silicone material, not a manufacturing issue.