Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tokyo

Sorry, I did not explain that well re: being different companies. Basically you can book through AA, but you'll be flying on a JAL plane. What hotel did you stay at while in Tokyo. I've heard back re: the lift rental. Also from the Westin Tokyo (is the Westin in a convenient location?). The response I received is that there is 13 cm of clearance under the bed. The lift rental contact said the lift requires approximately 10 cm of clearance.

It's strange when I tell friends of my plans. They act like I'm traveling to a 3rd-world country, where crime is rampant. Granted, I have concerns about communication and the long flight...

I did not stay in Tokyo except with some friends (in their home).

(KLD)

Well the hotel is reserved and the flight has been booked!!

KLD, would I be better off exchanging all of my currency prior to going, or should I do some prior, and the rest once I arrive? The least worry and hassle free, the better. Also, I am considering renting a wifi-box, so that my travel partner can text family back home. I believe these gadgets can be rented at the airport.

I am considering booking a private "accessible" tour through Japan Wonder Travel, with an English-speaking guide for the first full day we are there. Hopefully this will get us more comfortable in navigating the city (well, a small part anyway).

I would exchange a small amount of currency here (you should be able to order some through your bank), but you won't need a lot of cash. Credit cards are used all over Japan (VISA, American Express, less often MasterCard), and you can also obtain cash via numerous ATMs all over Japan except in the most rural areas.

I would be very surprised if you don't find a lot of free WiFi, esp. in Tokyo. I don't know, as I was there prior to the advent of cell phones or WiFi.

(KLD)

Any advice on how to manage the 14 hour flight to avoid any pressure sore issues. The longest flight I've been on previously was around 6 hours, so this is a whole new ballgame. For high level quads, how have you managed to do weight shifts?

Also, do you suggest I wear some kind of compression socks?
    Last edited by landrover; 04-21-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    No, JAL (Japan Airlines) and AA (American Airlines) are different companies, although they do some code sharing flights. I flew JAL when I went to Japan.

(KLD)
    So I booked my flight through AA today for the flight operating on JAL from JFK-HND on 09/24/17, returning 10/02/17 (I have 24 hrs to cancel). When booking through AA I was not able to request a seat assignment. As I'm a nervous ninny, I thought I'd call JAL and share my need for disability services, and inquire about seat assignment. Many puzzling questions later, I was transferred to an AA agent, who seemed similarly inexperienced in handling disability needs. She said in her system that one of the locations does not have a jetway to board the plane, and would have to go up stairs. She thought it was at JFK. I can't imagine, but again, she didn't seem sure herself. She said I may want to call back during the week, but then said only call if I don't hear from AA within 72 hrs of the flight!? I would sure hope to know if there might be any issues more then 72 hrs before the flight (like while I can still cancel it). I explained my needs, and my chair/battery situation. I requested that I be able to gate-check my chair, but she seemed confused, saying my chair needed to be checked. (Yes, I realize, but when I tried to confirm that I'd be able to gate check, she only repeated herself). If this doesn't turn out to be a big cluster -, I'll be relieved.