Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 42 Years Today

42 Years Today

April 5, 1975 a drunk driver with no insurance or money changed my life. The drunk did not see me or my motorcycle and made a left turn right into my path. My front tire hit the front tire of the the drunk's car. I woke up 6 hours later looking at a vital sign monitor. My first thought was, "This ain't good." When I asked a nurse what happened to me. She told me I was involved in a car./motorcycle accident, which I then recalled the car pulling in front of me. Then I asked if she knew how bad is was injured. She said, "I'll get the doctor." Again I thought, "This ain't good." The doctor came in and told I had a C5/6 compression fracture and I was paralyzed from nipple level down. Same thought again, "This ain't good." Little did I know how bad it could be. Someone said, "Cheer up it could be worse." So I cheered up and sure enough, it got worse.

A quote from the Jimmy Buffett song He Went To Paris.

"some of it's magic, some of it's tragic
    But I had a good life all of the way."

That kind of sums up my first 29 years plus the last 42 years.

Congrats on the longevity. I was injured at 26...hope to make it 42 years post like you. Hope you did something fun to mark the not so fun anniversary...

Congrats on 42!

I admire your fortitude, congrats!

I too had my fate tested on a motorcycle versus car, me being on the motorcycle. Its pretty difficult going from enjoyment to that utter life changing situation. All though you appear to have recovered from this, life can throw a lot of curve balls your way. Wishing you the best for the next 42 years.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

You seem to be making the best out of a bad situation. Congratulations. Wishing you a future with many good years.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Horrible, senseless accident, but I'll say happy anniversary anyway. I'm another old timer and will be celebrating 45 soon.
    Last edited by DeadEye; 04-06-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Back in 1977 I remember thinking "this ain't good" quite a lot but it did get better and I bet you found the same!

Many congratulations on 42 years of hard work and survival.

God bless you for hanging in there you turned lemons into lemonade.
    ^^(A)^^

While not a celebration in the normal sense, these milestones are a time for reflecting on how we have lived with a spinal cord injury. Seems you have lived well.
    Cheers,
    GJ and NL