Thread: CPAP and bloating..

CPAP and bloating..

I have been using a CPAP machine for the last six months. Unfortunately, it's causing me to be very bloated and gaseous. Does anyone have any solutions to stop this? I have tried gas x several times, but it doesn't seem to work.

Are you sure the mask is fitting correctly? While I have heard of this issue, it can often be decreased by an adjustment to the mask. Are you still mouth breathing?

ckf

Yes, the mask fits perfectly. I am a mouth breather. Also, since I started using it, I constantly have a feeling almost like my heart is going to stop, and I have to shift my body to get rid of the feeling. I went to my cardiologist, and he said my heart seems fine. I have a pacemaker,, because my heart rate sometimes runs low. He gave me an event monitor to wear, and I'm awaiting the results.

The air pressure my cpap is at 17. I asked the doctor if lowering it would help, but they thought it might not be as effective to help me sleep. Thank you for your response!

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Pressure too high? It's meant to go in your lungs, not your guts.

Does machine record events. If so can lower pressure and if low frequency then lower pressure is okay.

Most CPAP machines do record events so you should be able to find out if they have decreased enough to decrease the pressure. That may help this problem. Check with your pulmonologist.

ckf

i been using a bipap for a year and when i started using it my stomach blew way up from the air getting in my gut. over time i've gotten use to it and nolonger have that problem.

The pressure is that 17! I believe it does record event. Thank you for your response.

I will have to check with the company. Thank you so much!

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Try SleepyHead software

I have my ResMed (AirSense 10 Elite) machine set to 10cm H2O (9.8hPa). Event frequency is very low at that pressure. Most nights nothing ever happens apart from waking up to deal with bladder.

A few short events in the night will not stress you. Does your machine detect events and can you adjust the pressure?

I pull http://sleepyhead.jedimark.net/ nightly from git and re-build it if anything has changed.

Use this to see event frequency. If low then try lowering the pressure and then check if still low. If still low then lower pressure is okay.

git clone https://git.code.sf.net/p/sleepyhead/code sleepyhead-code

He has moved it from SF so that is why I have not seen any build reports for a while ;(

New location: https://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhead-code
    Last edited by zagam; 04-06-2017 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Source code site has moved

It is true that a few events will not stress you, but I would encourage you to speak with whomever prescribed the settings and tell them your problem. While using the software to see what is going on is great, the data should still be looked at by your HCP.
    ckf